-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: Cross-reference with attributes in table
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:08 pm 

Hi,

I have been running into a problem with a table structure and trying to get it mapped properly to do cascading deletes. I have been reading over some web sites about how to deal with a many-to-many relationship and working with a cross-reference table. I am fairly comfortable on the concept and have my domain objects setup and working. My problem is that when I delete one side of the many-to-many I want the record in the cross-reference table to be deleted as well. The unique situation that I am dealing with is that the cross-reference table is actually a domain object for the application I am working on. For simplicity sake I am going to use the example data setup as described at http://docs.jboss.org/hibernate/stable/ ... ollections . Where this application varies is that we have a date on the cross-referenced table. So using the example the PERSON_EVENT table would have a SIGN_UP_DATE attribute. To support this the mapping the Person class would look something like this:

Code:
<class name="Person" table="PERSON">
    <id name="id" column="PERSON_ID">
        <generator class="native"/>
    </id>
    <property name="age"/>
    <property name="firstname"/>
    <property name="lastname"/>

<set name="events" table="PERSON_EVENT" inverse="true" cascade="all">
        <key column="PERSON_ID"/>
        <one-to-many class="PersonEvent"/>
    </set>

</class>

Then there is a new class to allow for the retrieval of the extra attribute on the PERSON_EVENT table.

Code:
<class name="PersonEvent" table="PERSON_EVENT">
    <composite-id>
        <key-many-to-one name="person" class="Person" column="PERSON_ID" />
        <key-many-to-one name="event" class="Event" column="EVENT_ID" />
    </composite-id>
    <property name="signUpDate" column="SIGN_UP_DATE" />
</class>

The code I am using to add events is as follows:

Code:
        Session session = HibernateUtil.getSessionFactory().getCurrentSession();
        session.beginTransaction();

Person aPerson = (Person) session.load(Person.class, personId);
        Event anEvent = (Event) session.load(Event.class, eventId);
        PersonEvent personEvent = new PersonEvent(aPerson, anEvent);
        aPerson.getEvents().add(personEvent);

session.getTransaction().commit();

The problem comes when trying to delete:

Code:
        Session session = HibernateUtil.getSessionFactory().getCurrentSession();
        session.beginTransaction();

Person aPerson = (Person) session.load(Person.class, personId);
        session.delete(aPerson);
        session.getTransaction().commit();

This deletes the person record from the PERSON table but does not end up deleting the PERSON_EVENT record. I have played around with changing the inverse attribute as well as the cascade attribute on the <set> element without any success.

Anyone able to offer any insight?

Thanks

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]