-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: JPA read is forcing item into collection a second time.
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:41 pm 

I'm doing some ETL work, moving users and groups from an app-specific db to a share-able user/group/login facility.

Unfortunately some user's emails are duplicated in the source. I'm keeping a HashSet of all emails and user names. With each new incoming record I check the caches for the name or email (adding if not found). If I have a cache hit, since it could be a user already in the db prior to the transfer I'm reading, JPA-style the user by name or email (both are enforced to be unique).

However when I hit the second occurance of an email in the source, on which I have previously called persist(), the read from the db throws
    javax.persistence.EntityExistsException: org.hibernate.exception.ConstraintViolationException: could not insert collection: [c.a.s.e.c.Group.users#101060]
    java.sql.BatchUpdateException: Batch entry 13 insert into group_user_join (group_id, user_id) values (101060, 101699) was aborted.
as though hibernate is adding the read-in user into the group to which the user was added earlier.

User has
Code:
    @ManyToMany(mappedBy="users", fetch = FetchType.LAZY)
    private Collection<Group> groups;
and Group has
Code:
    @ManyToMany(fetch = FetchType.LAZY)
    @JoinTable(name="group_user_join",
               joinColumns={@JoinColumn(name="group_id")},
               inverseJoinColumns={@JoinColumn(name="user_id")})
    private Collection<User> users;

The lookup is
Code:
          Query ueLookup = em.createQuery("select u from User u where userName = :uname or emailAddress = :mail");
          ueLookup.setParameter("uname", username);
          ueLookup.setParameter("mail", email);
          try {
             foundUser = (User)ueLookup.getSingleResult();
          }

Does the setup look correct?
Am I diagnosing the exception correctly?
If so, any thoughts on how to get round the problem?
(I am catching the none-found and too-many exceptions)

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: JPA read is forcing item into collection a second time.
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:24 pm 

I should have mentioned im my original post
    Hibernate-3.2, java-1.6, postgres-8.3.
    Using batch size of 1000. Statement.setMaxRows(1000) and hibernate.jdbc.batch_size=1000
    The groups were all read in or created in previous transactions
    There could be separate transactions between each occurrence of a given email.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]