-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: lock with NOWAIT waits
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:02 pm 

I am using Hibernate to connect to a Postgres DB on Windows. I am using optimistic locking in my app, but there is one object for which I need pessimistic locking. I am trying to use the code below:

Code:
public boolean getLock(Object o)
try
{
    session.lock(o, UPGRADE_NOWAIT);
    return true;
}
catch (Throwable t)
{
    LOG.error("Object is already locked");
    return false;
}

I thought that the session.lock() would throw an exception if the persistent object was already locked. But when I run my tests, the calls to session.lock() wait until the other code thread commits the transaction that got the original lock on the object.
Any clue to what I might be doing wrong, or what I'm misunderstanding?

Thanks,

Post subject: Re: lock with NOWAIT waits
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:49 am 

BTW - I see the same results using MsSQL as the DB - the session.lock() with UPGRADE_NOWAIT call waits until the transaction that originally locked the object completes. As I said, my understanding of that lock mode is that it should throw and exception if the object has been locked by a separate transaction.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]