-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: Annotations and collection mapping - Extra table generated
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:47 am 

I'm just looking into the use of Hibernate Annotations vs mapping files and porting a simple demo over to hibernate annotations. At the moment the demo works, however instead of using my existing table structure to store a collection, Hibernate is generating a new table but storing the exact same data in it.

In my database I have a users table [id (PK), username, etc...] and an authorities table [userid (PK), authority (PK)]. The authorities table has a foreign key constraint from userid to id in the users table such that one user can have many authorities. The two fields of the authorities table also make up a composite primary key.

I have an annotated User class and an annotated Authority class like so:

Code:
@Entity
@Table(name="users")
public class User
{
   private int id;
   private String username;
   //etc...
   private Set authorities = new HashSet();

public void setId(int idIn) { id = idIn; }
   public void setUsername(String userIn) { username = userIn; }
   public void setAuthorities(Set authIn) { authorities = authIn; }

@Id @GeneratedValue(strategy=GenerationType.AUTO)
   public int getId() { return id; }

@Column(unique=true)
   public String getUsername() { return username; }

@OneToMany(targetEntity=Authority.class, fetch=FetchType.EAGER)
   public Set<Authority> getAuthorities() { return authorities; }
}

Code:
@Entity
@Table(name="authorities")
public class Authority
{
   private int id;
   private String authority;

public void setId(int idIn) { id = idIn; }
   public void setAuthority(String authIn) { authority = authIn; }

@Id
   @Column(name="userid")
   public int getId() { return id; }

@Id
   public String getAuthority() { return authority; }
}

If I use the above code and create a user with some authorities then save the user using Hibernate then a new table gets generated called users_authorities with a users_id field and a authorities_authority field. The value placed in the users_id field is what should go into the authorities.userid field in my own database structure, and likewise the users_authority field should go into the authorities.authority in my own database.

Any ideas as to where I've gone wrong? I annotated the Authority class with the table name authorities so I don't understand why Hibernate is ignoring this and using users_authorities instead. Other than this the demo is working fine.

Thanks.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]