-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Persist an empty object
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 7:10 pm 

I've just started investigating Hibernate and I have a newbie question.

I am trying to create an empty object, "mark it as persistent", then set the fields, hoping that when the session is flushed, proper insert statement will happen. However, I could not make it working with save or persist methods – it is failing on not null properties. Is this possible and if not, is there a workaround?

The reason why I am trying to do this is that I have a rich client user interface that is setting the properties after an empty object is created. Hibernate is doing a great job of tracking changed (updated) objects, and something similar for inserts would be great. Otherwise I will have to programmatically track new objects and once all properties are set, to call save or persist.

Post subject: Re: Persist an empty object
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 4:48 am 

I am little confused about this question.

From what I understanding, "dynamic-insert" and "dynamic-update" should solve your problem.

Please let me know what you think.

Post subject: Re: Persist an empty object
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 1:14 pm 

I don't think that dynamic insert would solve it. To clarify, here is the scenario that I would like to do:

1. Instantiate an empty object.
2. Call Session.persist or something similar (this is what I refer to as "mark as persistent", I am not sure if such thing exists).
3. Call setters to populate the fields.
4. Commit or flush (this is where the actual insert will happen).

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]