-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: EJB - RuntimeExceptions on EntityManager
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 1:36 pm 

Hi, i'm a noobie with EJBs, and i'm trying to use a session bean with CMT. But the problem is, the methods of the entityManager (persist,merge,remove...), throws runtimeExceptions, but runtimeExceptions by default are System Exceptions for EJBs (they dont rollback a transaction).

So if i do something like this in my SB:

Code:
em.persist(cat);
em.persist(dog);
em.persist(fish); // RuntimeException for some reason.

does the cat and dog be persisted in the database? if not, does the transaction get rolled back automatically EVEN being a runtimeexception? So, i don't have to think about entityManager exceptions in my EJB, cause them always rollback the transaction automatically?

I find that weird, cause i'm reading EJB-In Action, and it says that only checked exceptions are being rolled-back. I would have to put the @ApplicationException(rollback=true) in the exceptions throw by the entityManager to get this working (and i cant do it). So after all that, I ask you guys, does the following makes sense?

-- Method called in view layer (JSF/Seam component)
Code:
try{
animalBusinessEJB.doALotOfPersists()
} catch (EJBException e) {//fast question: Do I always have to use EJBException catch runtimeExceptions?
//Could i get directly a PersistenceException or ConstraintViolationException (Hibernate Validators)?
facesMessages.add("error" + e.getMessage());
}

-- Stateless SB
Code:
em.persist(cat);
em.persist(dog);
em.persist(fish); // I Dont have to worry cause, exceptions from the entityManager even being runtimeException, automatically rollback the transaction.

--

Is that right?

Thks

Post subject: Re: EJB - RuntimeExceptions on EntityManager
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 2:21 pm 

Ops, i reread the book carefully, and asked help from a friend and now i get it. System Exceptions does get rolled back. But the second question is: What happened with application exceptions that do not have @ApplicationException(rollback=true)? The transaction stays "iddle" until it expires? The expiration time is up to the container them?

Thks,

Israel

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]