-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: Cast Entity association collection to implementation type
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 6:30 pm 

Persistence Provider: JBoss Hibernate

I have an entity with a one-to-many association. For my business logic, I want the collection implementation type to be a TreeSet as I can sort it.

Code:
@Entity
public class Foo1 {
  @Id
  private Long id;
  @OneToMany(mappedBy="foo1");
  Set<Foo2> foo2s;

public void addFoo2(Foo2 foo2) {
    if (foo2s == null) {
      this.foo2s = new TreeSet<Foo2>();
    }
    this.foo2s.add(foo2);
  }
}

Let's say I persist the entity and so it becomes managed. When the entity becomes managed, the persistence provider replaces the collection implementation with its custom implementation org.hibernate.collection.PersistentSet. Now if I do any TreeSet operation on my collection, it does not work as the collection implementation type is not a TreeSet anymore.

Code:
((TreeSet<Foo2>)foo1.getFoo2s()).first() //throws casting exception.

Exception:
Code:
org.hibernate.collection.PersistentSet cannot be cast to java.util.TreeSet

Declaring the collection as java.util.SortedSet did not work either. It threw exception on startup.
Code:
Illegal attempt to map a non collection as a @OneToMany

But I do want my collection implementation to be a TreeSet even in a managed entity. I know I can not cast org.hibernate.collection.PersistentSet to java.util.TreeSet.

Why do we have such restriction in implementation? Why can't the persistence provider (Hibernate) use TreeSet as the implementation type?

I do not want my code to be dependent on vendor-specific implementation like PersistentSet or PersistentSortedSet. Is there a solution to this? Is there a way to use a java.util.* collection implementation in a managed entity?

I would appreciate any help.

Thanks
Vignesh

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]