-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: Query.list() by-passes the second-level cache?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:52 pm 

Hi-

I want to execute a select query against the DB and load the entities from the second-level cache. I have found that I have to use query.iterate() because query.list() loads the entire entity from the DB (selecting all of the columns). Is this a known difference between iterate() and list()? It isn't in the javadoc.

Is there a setting that will still use the second-level cache with query.list()?

The way query.iterate() works is that Hibernate generates a sql statement that just selects the IDs from the DB and then gets the entities one-by-one from the 2nd level cache. I'd love to get query.list() to do the same

Here is some sample code:
Code:
// This loads the ENTIRE entity from the DB skipping L2 cache
List users  = session
    .createQuery("from User where org='foo')
    .setMaxResults(100)
    .setFirstResult(1)
    .list();

Code:
// This loads the ids from DB and the entity from 2nd level cache
Iterator i  = session
    .createQuery("from User where org='foo')
    .setMaxResults(100)
    .setFirstResult(1)
    .iterate();
while (i.hasNext()) {
    User u = (User) i.next();
}

I have autocommit set to false (the default).

Hibernate version:

Name and version of the database you are using:
Oracle 10i

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]