-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Can't use on-delete for key in a collection map?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 5:26 am 
Beginner
Beginner

Hibernate version: 3.0.5

Mapping documents:

Code:
<map
    name="properties"
    table="UserProperty"
    lazy="true"
    sort="unsorted"
    cascade="save-update"
    batch-size="10"
>

<key
   column="userId"
   on-delete="cascade"
    >
    </key>

<index
   column="name"
   type="java.lang.String"
   length="100"
    />

<element
   column="value"
   type="java.lang.String"
   length="255"
   not-null="true"
   unique="false"
    />
</map>

Full stack trace of any exception that occurs:

Code:
ERROR [main] ContextLoader.initWebApplicationContext(177) | Context initialization failed
org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'sessionFactory' defined in URL [jar:file:/C:/Apache/tomcat/webapp/WEB-INF/lib/dao.jar!/META-INF/applicationContext-hibernate.xml]: Initialization of bean failed; nested exception is org.hibernate.MappingException: only inverse one-to-many associations may use on-delete="cascade": com.example.dao.User.properties org.hibernate.MappingException: only inverse one-to-many associations may use on-delete="cascade": com.example.dao.User.properties
   at org.hibernate.mapping.Collection.validate(Collection.java:236)
   at org.hibernate.mapping.IndexedCollection.validate(IndexedCollection.java:67)
   at org.hibernate.cfg.Configuration.validate(Configuration.java:841)
   at org.hibernate.cfg.Configuration.buildSessionFactory(Configuration.java:1000)
   at org.springframework.orm.hibernate3.LocalSessionFactoryBean.newSessionFactory(LocalSessionFactoryBean.java:746)

Name and version of the database you are using: PostgreSQL 7.4

Collection Map is a one-to-many associations, why is it throwing the exception? I also tried to put in the inverse attribute = true and it still throws the same exception.

A bug?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 5:30 am 
Beginner
Beginner

Whenever I do a batch delete (a list of users), I get an PostgreSQL foreign key constraints violation exception for the relation UserProperties.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 2:39 am 

I have exactly the same problem.
In my case the 'cascade' rule in the collection is even stronger - 'all-delete-orphan'. And still hbm2ddl does not generate 'on delete cascade' in the schema.

The way I get around this [for now] is via an Ant task that modifies the schema to include 'on delete cascade' - a hack, to say the least.

Slightly related question - why do you use 'save-update' in the collection 'cascade'? It would seem to me that component's lifecycle is owned by the parent and it cannot exist outside of its parent. So would't the only valid 'cascade' methods be 'delete-orphan' and 'all-delete-orphan'?

Shouldn't hbm2ddl always generate 'on delete cascade' for component collections?

If you do find the solution to this, please post it here!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 3:37 am 

Same problem here:

Code:
<class name="theClass" table="the_class_table">
    <id name="rowId" column="rid" type="integer">
      <generator class="native" />
    </id>
    <map name="theMap" batch-size="50" lazy="true" table="the_map_table">
      <key foreign-key="theForeignKey" on-delete="cascade">
        <column name="the_row_id" />
      </key>
      <map-key column="key" type="string" />
      <element column="value" type="double" />
    </map>
</class>

For performance reasons, be want to use a delete query like

Code:
delete from theClass where ...

This of course only works if the dependant rows in the_map_table
are deleted at the same time.
Now, with this mapping SchemeExport correctly creates 'on delete cascade' clauses in the ddl's. So far, so good, but Hibernate won't
accept the on-delete="cascade", throwing the exception mentioned
in the first post of this thread.
Can anybody tell me why this restriction for on-delete="cascade" exists on maps? I specially wonder because if you manually add 'on delete cascade' to the ddl's, everything seems to work perfectly fine.
Is this a bug? Any known workarounds?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:34 am 

I've just come across the same issue, just wondered if anyone had found a solution to this?

Post subject: annoing hibernate developers
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:50 am 

there is allready bug report for this situation. but nobody want repair this stupid limitation. I don't know any rational reason for this and I don't know any rationale solution.[/url]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]