-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Selecting result count with Criteria.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:32 am 
Beginner
Beginner

I'm using Criteria with setFirstResult/setMaxResults to retrieve a subset of the result set (for paging results on a web page). However, I also want to know the total number of results in the result set. What's the most efficient way to do this when using Criteria?

I could run two queries, one with the subset, and one with the full set, and use Criteria.list().size() to get the total size of the entire set, but then that just retrieves the entire result set which is pretty slow and isn't what I want -- it defeats the purpose of paging the results to being with.

Another thing I thought of was using Criteria to build a query like "select count(*) from ...", but I don't know how to do this.

So the question is, what's the best way to get the size of the entire result set through Criteria when I'm using setFirstResult/setMaxResults to only retrieve a subset?

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Selecting result count with Criteria.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:10 am 
Senior
Senior

I think you need to retrieve twice. First is the data. Second is the number of records.

To retrieve the total records, you can use
Code:
Criteria criteria = session.createCriteria(SomeClass.class);
criteria.setProjection(Projections.rowCount());
List<Number> list = criteria.list();

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:12 am 
Beginner
Beginner

Ah thanks, works great. Projections are exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks! :)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]