-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: HQL to get the index of an object in a result list?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:18 am 

Using HQL:

* I know how to get the total number of results for a query.

* I know how to get a list of Object IDs back for that same query.

Can I use HQL to get the index of a specific Object ID in that list? The only way I know to do this is to get back all of the results from the database, then look through all of the results.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:16 pm 

Since I am using Oracle as my database, it seems that one way I could solve my question is to:

1. sort in a subquery
    2. determine which item in the subquery matches the id of 'the object i want to know the sorted index of'.
    3. return the value of the matching magic/psuedo-column rownum

I see that rownum is used 'under the hood' for pagination in Hibernate when using Oracle.

However, I can't seem to configure even a simple query query correctly.

Code:
select dog.rownum from Dog as dog where ...

Any suggestions for how to properly access rownum in my own HQL queries?

Post subject: specify extra-lazy in hql?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:11 pm 

It has come to my attention that I might be able to retrieve my query result list as "extra-lazy", and then find out the index of an item in that result list using indexOf().

However, I cannot figure out how to specify that my HQL result list items should be "extra-lazy".

(I do see how an object's collection can be extra-lazy by specifying it in hbm.xml, but I am looking for the ordered items items in my result set to be extra-lazy.)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]