-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: performance degradation with hibernate collection
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:52 pm 

Hi Experts, i have a performance issue in my application.
i am using hibernate 3.

here is description of the issue
i have a hibernate parent object and it has a set child object (collection)
single parent could have 20,000 children

i read the parent and get all the child objects into a collection
now i iterate over each child object in a for loop and update and save the object and commit...

first iteration : update the first child and commit --2 updates are fired to database- one for parent object and one for child object that was modified

second iteration: update the second child and commit --3 updates are fired to databse - one for parent object, one for the first child and one for the second child

note that though i have not modified the first child object in the second iteration, hibernate still fires an update to the first child object also......this becomes very expensive when i have 20,000 child objects. at the end of 20,000 iteration it would fire 20,000 updated to the database while i have only modified the last child record

how to solve this issue. pls help

Thanks
Raghav

Problems with Session and transaction handling?

Read this: http://hibernate.org/42.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:25 pm 
Expert
Expert

Try to make it more like batch updates. Try to update like 20 at a time, then flush and clear after each group.

If you were at work doing this voluntarily, imagine what you'd want to see to answer a question.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:43 pm 

kochcp wrote:
Try to make it more like batch updates. Try to update like 20 at a time, then flush and clear after each group.

hello chris, thanks for quick reply.
i can do a batch update because on every iteration i modify a child object and perform some processing and update date column value of the child object and commit. this is an indication for me that iteration went fine without failure.
if i go for batch updates and commit in batch size of say 10 .... then in the middle of 5th iteration to say, i get an exception and i have to rollback then i will be rolling back the entire 10 records which is not correct.

to solve my issue i have to update only the child object that i am iterating.
is their a way i can do that

Thanks
Raghav

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:04 pm 
Expert
Expert

try a flush and clear after each single child then

If you were at work doing this voluntarily, imagine what you'd want to see to answer a question.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]