-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Is there a lightweight version of Hibernate?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:28 pm 

Hello,

Well, the Hibernate distribution I use in my program has a size of 14MB, this is much more than the rest of my program.
I only want a simple and performant way to access my database, thats why I use Hibernate.

So I wanted to ask if there is a more lightweight version of Hibernate with only its basic functionality?

greetings,
cui.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:28 pm 
Expert
Expert

You'll probably doesn't need all JAR files distributed with Hibernate. In our project the Hibernate-related JAR files add up to around 5.2MB. Depending on your needs you may even get rid of a few more (or you may need some more). This is the list of JAR files we need:

hibernate3.jar, antlr-2.7.6.jar, c3p0-0.9.1.jar, commons-collections-3.1.jar, dom4j-1.6.1.jar, ehcache-1.2.3.jar, javassist-3.4.GA.jar, jta-1.1.jar, slf4j-api.1.5.2.jar, slf4j-log4j12-1.5.2.jar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:43 pm 

Thanks for your answer, I think this could really help.

But: Is there a easy way to find out which jars I need and which I don't need? Or is trying out the only way to do it?

Post subject: pack2000
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:46 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

You could try to use pack200 if you distribute over JNLP, it is able to compress class-files up to 10x.
For application-deployment you could create a small pack200 unpacker.

- Clemens

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:56 am 
Expert
Expert

We did this by trying. First step was to try to compile our code and adding JAR files as needed. The second step was to run a few test programs and add JAR files as needed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:20 pm 

Are newer versions of these third party dependencies supported by Hibernate? e.g. commons-collections 3.x. The 3.2 version for this particular dependency was released by Apache almost three years ago.

nordborg wrote:
You'll probably doesn't need all JAR files distributed with Hibernate. In our project the Hibernate-related JAR files add up to around 5.2MB. Depending on your needs you may even get rid of a few more (or you may need some more). This is the list of JAR files we need:

hibernate3.jar, antlr-2.7.6.jar, c3p0-0.9.1.jar, commons-collections-3.1.jar, dom4j-1.6.1.jar, ehcache-1.2.3.jar, javassist-3.4.GA.jar, jta-1.1.jar, slf4j-api.1.5.2.jar, slf4j-log4j12-1.5.2.jar

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]