-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Hibernate safes URL as binary - can it be as String?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:51 am 

Hi,
I have some URL in my persistence Objects, like:

Code:
@Entity
public class Image
{
  (...)
  private URL imageURL;
  (...)
}

Hibernate stores them as "VARBINARY", so when I browse the database with an SQL-Client I cannot see (nor debug) what data really is stored.

Can I somehow configure that URLs are stored (and loaded) as String-Objects? Is there any annotation to change the column-type?

Thanks and Best Regards,
Tobias

Post subject: Re: Hibernate safes URL as binary - can it be as String?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:33 am 

There are a list of options:
  • Define the property imageURL as a field of type String with String getter and setter and do the mapping outside of the bean
  • Define the property imageURL as a field of type String and do the mapping within the getter and setter operations
  • Use as custom type mapper as described in Hibernate documentation and in the following blog. This way binds you to the custom type mapping support of the JPA implementation.

I think I would prefer option 2!

Kind regards,
Michael

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:55 am 

Hey thanks!

Sometimes its that simple... I did not know, that I am allowed to have getters and setters with different type than the field itself!

Thanks for the hint,
Tobias

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:12 am 

You must only annotate your fields and not the getter methods. I do the same in my beans and do the mapping in my getter and setter method, so I can provide types in my API without binding me to Hibernate.

Kind regards,
Michael

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]