-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: EJB2.1 , JPA/Hibernate and CMT on WAS6.1.0.17
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:37 am 

Hi,

I am trying to use JPA/Hibernate with EJB2.1 and use the CMTs. I wrote a simple method in my Stateless session bean (2.1) to insert an entity say 'Project' in the database.

Code:

public Project insertArifact(Project project) {
            EntityManager em = JPAUtils.getEntityManagerFactory().createEntityManager();
            em.persist(project);
            if(project.getName().equalsIgnoreCase("shivreet")){
             throw new NullPointerException();
             }

return project;

}

The project that I am trying to insert has the name and thus the EJB would through a RuntimeException rolling back the transaction. But this does not happen. The entity does get inserted. While if i change the method to

Code:
    public Project insertArifact(Project project) {
            EntityManager em = JPAUtils.getEntityManagerFactory().createEntityManager();
            [color=red]em.joinTransaction();[/color]
            em.persist(project);
            if(project.getName().equalsIgnoreCase("shivreet")){
             throw new NullPointerException();
             }

return project;

}

i.e explicitly join a transaction,it works fine . The JPAUtils is a singleton that returns an EntityManagerFactory based on the following persistence.xml

Code:
   <persistence-unit name="pps-jpa" transaction-type="JTA">
      <provider>org.hibernate.ejb.HibernatePersistence</provider>
      <properties>
         <property name="hibernate.dialect" value="org.hibernate.dialect.Oracle10gDialect" />
         <property name="hibernate.connection.datasource" value="jdbc/XYZ" />
         <property name="hibernate.connection.username" value="user" />
         <property name="hibernate.connection.password" value="password" />
         <property name="hibernate.show_sql" value="true" />
         <property name="hibernate.hibernate.session_factory_name" value="MySessionFactory" />
         <property name="hibernate.max_fetch_depth" value="3" />

<property name="hibernate.transaction.manager_lookup_class" value="org.hibernate.transaction.WebSphereExtendedJTATransactionLookup" />
         <property name="jta.UserTransaction" value="java:comp/UserTransaction" />
      </properties>
   </persistence-unit>

Any help would be appreciated.

If its any help, I noticed while debugging that when the following call heirarchy is invoked, there is a comment in the JoinableCMTTransactionFactory

checkTransactionSyncStatus(SessionImpl) --> registerSynchronizationIfPossible(JDBCContext)-->
isTransactionInProgress(JDBCContext)-->
isTransactionInProgress(JoinableCMTTransactionFactory)

Code:
public boolean isTransactionInProgress(
         JDBCContext jdbcContext, Context transactionContext, Transaction transaction
   ) {
      if ( transaction == null ) return false; [size=18]//should not happen though[/size]
      JoinableCMTTransaction joinableCMTTransaction = ( (JoinableCMTTransaction) transaction );
      joinableCMTTransaction.tryJoiningTransaction();
      return joinableCMTTransaction.isTransactionInProgress( jdbcContext, transactionContext );
   }
}

And the transaction seems to be null the first time even though I am in the EJB and it returns a false. This is the call heirarchy

[/img]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]