-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Detaching an object
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:31 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Hello,

I need to detach an object without closing the Session in order to modify a value in the object without persisting the change, but I can't seem to do this without closing the Session. I am using the being transaction and committ Hibernate methods, but even after the committ, the object returned from Hibernate is still persistent.

The code is below. I have a stateless session bean calling a UsrprofileDAO object to retrieve a user's profile. The UsrprofileDAO class retrieves the Hibernate Session from the HibernateUtil static class, starts a new transaction, queries the requested object, and committs the transaction. The DAO returns the Usrprofile object to the calling EJB Session bean where I mask the password field with x's ("xxxxxxxx") but I see that after I do this, the "xxxxxxxx" is persisted back to the database.

What I need to do is to detach the Usrprofile object before masking the password without closing the Hibernate Session because I then have to use the Hibernate Session in a CompdataDAO object. I am using the HibernateUtil that is recommended by the Hibernate Reference to get the Session object (code below).

My question is, how can I detach the Usrprofile object without closing the Hibernate Session? Alternatively, how can I close the Hibernate Session within the same EJB bean method (thread), mask the password, and then retrieve the Hibernate Session?

Code that retrieves the session and Usrprofile object:
Code:
   public com.faweb.entities.Usrprofiles getUsrProf(String strQueryStr, String username)  {
       myLogger = Logger.getLogger("com.faweb.entities.daos.UsrprofileDAO");
       myLogger.debug("getUsrProf input parameter username = " + username);
       usrProf = null;   

try {
          myLogger.debug("Getting current Hibernate session object");         
          myLogger.debug("Getting Hibernate session object");
         Session session = HibernateUtil.getSessionFactory().getCurrentSession();

session.beginTransaction();
         myLogger.debug("In UsrprofileDAO.getUsrProf(username), creating query");
           Query q = session.createQuery(strQueryStr); 
         myLogger.debug("In UsrprofileDAO.getUsrProf(username), query created");
           q.setString("username", username);
         myLogger.debug("In UsrprofileDAO.getUsrProf(username), set string");
         usrProf = (Usrprofiles) q.uniqueResult();
         myLogger.debug("In UsrprofileDAO.getUsrProf(username), got user " + usrProf);
         myLogger.debug("Committing Hibernate transaction");
            session.getTransaction().commit();

myLogger.debug(" Returning Usrprofile object");
         return usrProf;

}

HibernanteUtil.java:
Code:
public class HibernateUtil {
    static Logger logger = Logger.getLogger("com.entities.utils.HibernateUtil");

private static final SessionFactory sessionFactory;
    static {
        try {
        //    Create the SessionFactory from hibernate.cfg.xml
            // get a logger instance named "com.foo"

//    System.out.println("In HibernateUtil.SessionFactor, about to try to create a SessionFactory instance.");
            sessionFactory = new Configuration().configure().buildSessionFactory();
            if(logger.isEnabledFor(Level.INFO))
               logger.info("Created Session Factory static class");

} catch (Throwable ex) {
        //    Make sure you log the exception, as it might be swallowed
            logger.error("Initial SessionFactory creation failed." + ex);
            //System.err.println("Initial SessionFactory creation failed." + ex);
            throw new ExceptionInInitializerError(ex);
        }
    }
    public static SessionFactory getSessionFactory() {
        try {
            logger.info("Looking up sessionFactory in JNDI in HibernateUtil.getSessionFactory()");
              javax.naming.InitialContext ctx = new javax.naming.InitialContext();
            logger.info("Got intiial JNDI context in HibernateUtil.getSessionFactory()");
           SessionFactory sf = (SessionFactory) ctx.lookup("appweb/HibernateSessionFactory");
           logger.info("Got SessionFactory in HibernateUtil.getSessionFactory()");
           return sf;
        }
        catch (Exception e)  {
            logger.error("threw exception in HibernateUtil.getSessionFactory().  Exception is " + e);
           return null;
        }
        //MCB -- Use to just return following object before Jan 13th, 2008
        //     return sessionFactory;
    }
}
[/b]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:55 am 
Beginner
Beginner

There are three ways to detach an object

1- Session.close

2- Writing objects on any stream e.g. to File or on network

3- Cloning of object. See link below to clone any object
http://javainnovations.blogspot.com/2008/06/cloning-of-java-objects.html

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]