-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: JPA level 2 cache and external database modifications
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:00 pm 

Hi,

I plan to use Hibernate with JPA API inside an EJB container with a level 2 cache.

I'd like to modify database with native sql statements or use triggers that modify data or delete rows.

I understand that the level 2 cache doesn't handle modifications that are done out of the scope of the entity manager and doesn't update the cache. How to update the level 2 cache ? I've searched for a solution about this but I didn't find any information about this.

If I know which entites have been modified by the statements, is there any solution solution to notify the level 2 cache that these objects have been modified ? Reset on the whole cache is not a solution.

Does anybody knows a solution or has any link for this problem ? How to handle this problem ?

Thanks,
Mickael

Post subject: Re: JPA level 2 cache and external database modifications
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:44 am 
Expert
Expert

Look at public void evict(Class persistentClass, Serializable id) throws HibernateException in SessionFactory. However, my favourite solution is to have an eviction policy that takes care of this periodically but I understand it is not a feasible solution in some cases.

Farzad-

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:25 am 

Thanks for your answer.

farzad wrote:
Look at public void evict(Class persistentClass, Serializable id) throws HibernateException in SessionFactory.

I'd prefer to use JPA API and not hibernate extensions.

farzad wrote:
However, my favourite solution is to have an eviction policy that takes care of this periodically but I understand it is not a feasible solution in some cases.

You are true, this solution is not adapted if you need a transactionnal cache.

Mickaƫl

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:17 pm 
Expert
Expert

Quote:

To the best of my knowledge L2 caching is not a part of JPA. You will anyways have to use proprietary APIs to manipulate it.

Quote:

I didn't get this one. What's the deal with a transactional cache? Why would you need a transactional cache?

Farzad-

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:16 am 

farzad wrote:
Quote:

To the best of my knowledge L2 caching is not a part of JPA. You will anyways have to use proprietary APIs to manipulate it.

Quote:

I didn't get this one. What's the deal with a transactional cache? Why would you need a transactional cache?
Farzad-

Lets take as an example an application deployed in a cluster, each node's accessing the database with JPA and a level 2 cache.

Some entities have an attribute for applicative locking and this locks may be modified by triggers in the database. Maybe hundreds of locks may be modified by a single request with a complex filter, it is important to use a SQL statement instead of getting a lot of objects and iterating over the collection to modify locks one by one.

I want all caches of all nodes to be updated as soon as I commit in one node. I don't want another node finding in its level 2 cache an entity without lock if a lock has been put in the database. That's what I understand by "transactionnal cache", a cache that is replicated in the transaction scope.

The trigger that modifies locks may write in dedicated table the list of modified nodes, I thought I could use this list to evict all nodes from the cache.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:52 am 
Expert
Expert

Hibernate updates L2 cache only after the transaction commits, a transactional cache has nothing to do with that. What you need is a good distributed cache, probably something with synchronous cache invalidation. You will still need to use a proper isolation level on your db connection so that you prevent concurrent modifications and eliminate racing conditions.

Farzad-

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]