-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: failed to lazily initialize a collection
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:35 pm 

Once again a Question relating to the lazy collection exception.

I have a Collection of data which is stored in the database and not needs to get reloaded after loaded once.
I am loading the data via hibernate and holding the resulting Collection in an application bean of an webapplication. Now if iam accessing the items of that collection it causes the following exception:

failed to lazily initialize a collection of role: mypackage.MyClass , no session or session was closed

I dont want to merge each item of the collection to the current session, and i want to avoid copying the loaded objects to none hibernate objects.

MyQuestion:
Is there some possibility to detach once loaded Hibernate Objects from the Session without copying or merge them?

Thanks for any reply

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:39 pm 

Probably not.
You cannot use lazy loading after closing/detaching from the session you used to originate the lazt collection. So either you use eager fetching to load all elements of the collection at once or try to keep the originating session open at all times, which is probably tricky and I wouldn't recommend anyway as it is an easy way to make a connection leak.

HTH

Post subject: eager fetching
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:19 am 

So if i use eager fetching for the lazy collection, all fetched objects are loaded at once, and i can access the data later, also if the assigned session is closed already?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:38 am 

That's correct, the objects are then detached from the session and can be accessed without it.
Only problem I forgot to mention is that the objects are then transient, so if you want to save the changes you make to them later on, you will have to attach them to a session again (refresh them from the database), but that should not be a big problem ^^

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]