-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Is hibernate for me?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:57 am 

Hi
New to hibernate
My company has given me the job to study and analyze if we can migrate our jdbc managed poorly written code to hibernate

the point i want to ask is if the database is huge, queries involve 10-12 joins and may be even more, should it be done through hibernate??

Please suggest
~Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:35 am 
Expert
Expert

When it comes to implementing a persistence based solution, you have many options. Hibernate is one, and one of the best, but as you know, it's not a one size fits all tool.

The key to Hibernate is that it allows you to approach your problem domain from an object oriented standpoint. If your problem domain can be approached in an object oriented manner, and you can have those objects mapped to your database, then Hibernate is absolutely the perfect choice.

With every solution, there are times when the persistent object model won't do everything you need it to do. Certainly, HQL can help you out immensely, and you can write very complicated joins and SQL queries if the need arises, while at the same time, leveraging the Hibernate Session and Hibernate framework.

Furthermore, when the need arises, you can also issue native SQL queries from Hibernate too, so you can really combine all the features of Hibernate that make sense, along with a few SQL queries to give you very fine grained control over your application.

Here's a little intro to Hibernate and a description of some of the reasons so many people are using Hibernate and JPA:

http://jpa.ezhibernate.com/Javacode/learn.jsp?tutorial=23whatishibernate

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]