-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: Structural and mapping problem
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:40 pm 

I'm sorry if this is wrong forum. In such a case, could you direct me to a correct one for this kind of problem?

I have to implement a structure in my project.. and I'd like it to be as good as possible. And so that querying data from db wouldn't be a burden.
The problem is as follows:
I have few objects in db.
Each of these objects can have:
- name
- size
- shape
- multiple textures (at least one)
- multiple colors (0+)
Then I have magic glasses. For a person wearing one of those glasses objects are suddenly changing theirs characteristics (but not name)(not all of them)(and probably not all characteristics of such an object are changed).

A user can create a box and throw to it as many objects as he wants.

Now, a user selects a box. He may want to view it as it is. Or to see it through his glasses. Or to see it as the box owner sees it (probably with different glasses).
(And for example order it by sizes. Or to see only black objects).

I'd like to know what is the best way to implement this in Java with hibernate annotations.

if there are multiple ways for doing it... and implementation depends on some numbers and clarification:
there are about 10 000 objects - there will be more in the future
number of colors is fixed
glasses cannot change textures of object to some nonexistent texture - but in future some textures may be added.. and some removed
each user can construct glasses of their own
there will be around 300 - 1 000 objects in each box
(I'm not sure if there can be only one object of a kind in a box or more, most probably more - but most users creating boxes would like to throw into it just one of a kind)
each glasses will change characteristics of about 100-500 objects (not all 10 000)

If you have any other question that would clarify or make this case more simple just ask or point it out.

I'd be very grateful for any help.
I'm sorry if this is wrong forum. In such a case, could you direct me to a correct one for this kind of a problem?

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to help.
Stefan Z.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]