-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Query for SUM(IFNULL)
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:58 am 

I am trying to execute this query using HQL and it throws a NULL pointer exception

The query is this
<b>
select new list(SUM(IFNULL(customer.count,0))) from Customer customer
</b>

I am using MYSQL as the backend database. And this is the exception I get:

Code:
Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
        at org.hibernate.dialect.Dialect$3.getReturnType(Dialect.java:102)
        at org.hibernate.hql.ast.util.SessionFactoryHelper.findFunctionReturnType(SessionFactoryHelper.java:382)
        at org.hibernate.hql.ast.tree.AggregateNode.getDataType(AggregateNode.java:21)
        at org.hibernate.hql.ast.tree.ConstructorNode.resolveConstructorArgumentTypes(ConstructorNode.java:101)
        at org.hibernate.hql.ast.tree.ConstructorNode.prepare(ConstructorNode.java:79)
        at org.hibernate.hql.ast.HqlSqlWalker.processConstructor(HqlSqlWalker.java:840)
        at org.hibernate.hql.antlr.HqlSqlBaseWalker.selectExpr(HqlSqlBaseWalker.java:1956)
        at org.hibernate.hql.antlr.HqlSqlBaseWalker.selectExprList(HqlSqlBaseWalker.java:1825)
        at org.hibernate.hql.antlr.HqlSqlBaseWalker.selectClause(HqlSqlBaseWalker.java:1394)
        at org.hibernate.hql.antlr.HqlSqlBaseWalker.query(HqlSqlBaseWalker.java:553)
        at org.hibernate.hql.antlr.HqlSqlBaseWalker.selectStatement(HqlSqlBaseWalker.java:281)
        at org.hibernate.hql.antlr.HqlSqlBaseWalker.statement(HqlSqlBaseWalker.java:229)
        at org.hibernate.hql.ast.QueryTranslatorImpl.analyze(QueryTranslatorImpl.java:228)
        at org.hibernate.hql.ast.QueryTranslatorImpl.doCompile(QueryTranslatorImpl.java:160)
        at org.hibernate.hql.ast.QueryTranslatorImpl.compile(QueryTranslatorImpl.java:111)
        at org.hibernate.engine.query.HQLQueryPlan.<init>(HQLQueryPlan.java:77)
        at org.hibernate.engine.query.HQLQueryPlan.<init>(HQLQueryPlan.java:56)
        at org.hibernate.engine.query.QueryPlanCache.getHQLQueryPlan(QueryPlanCache.java:72)
        at org.hibernate.impl.AbstractSessionImpl.getHQLQueryPlan(AbstractSessionImpl.java:133)
        at org.hibernate.impl.AbstractSessionImpl.createQuery(AbstractSessionImpl.java:112)
        at org.hibernate.impl.SessionImpl.createQuery(SessionImpl.java:1623)
        at org.hibernate.ejb.AbstractEntityManagerImpl.createQuery(AbstractEntityManagerImpl.java:92)

Thanks
K

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:52 am 
Beginner
Beginner

I think that there's a problem with your HQL, what is the 'new list(' supposed to be for? Or more precisely, what are you trying to do in the query?

-B

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:44 am 
Regular
Regular

The NPE looks like a bug in Hibernate to me. However, I agree with the previous poster that the new list(...) clause seems strange. As this is an aggregate query it will only return a single row with a single value. Why would you want to construct a custom object for that? I would try if

select SUM(IFNULL(customer.count,0)) from Customer customer

works or if it also throws the NPE?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:22 am 
Beginner
Beginner

I think that the NPE is caused by an invalid (or rather unsupported) function being used in the HQL query. IFNULL is a not supported function in any of the MySql Dialect (I checked all those named MySQL...class). It appears to trying to be sum the IFNULL return, but it first has to map it to its return type. Since IFNULL doesn't exist, the value is null and NPE is thrown.

I agree that the NPE might be a bug, but if it's being caused by what I think it's being caused by, then instead of an NPE at this point, you'd get a IllegalArgumentException, or UnsupportedOperation... Not an NPE, but still an exception.

-B

Post subject: NVL
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:41 am 
Beginner
Beginner

I Think you should use
select SUM(NVL(customer.count,0)) from Customer customer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:00 am 

Hi,
Use either coalesce () or nullif() for null check.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]