-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: Lazy many-to-one with remote query
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:22 pm 

Hello,

With my current project I have the following situation to map:
We have two databases, one containing requests and (due to a legacy database landscape which I cannot change)
another one containing data to those requests. Now to provide the data to the application in a transparent way I'm
trying to map the data as a virtual view using a subselect and a plain SQL query that employs Postgres' dblink
module to access the remote database. Basically I'm doing a remote join. (Pretty strange I know, but seems to be the only option)

Now my problem is: I have mapped the data property as a lazy many-to-one association to DataLink.
However, when I query only for 'Request' objects the SQL statement for 'DataLink' is executed n-times (for each request found). This is exactly what I want to avoid
since the remote query is very expensive. I just want the remote query executed when I actually access the DataLink data. So a query just for the requests should yield in one SQL statement in my opinion. Is this because of the <subselect>?

Ideas anyone?

Hibernate version: 3.2.5

Mapping documents:

Code:
<class name="Request">
      <id name="id">
         <generator class="sequence">
            <param name="sequence">request_id_seq</param>
         </generator>
      </id>
      <version name="version" access="field" type="long" column="hibernate_version" />
      <property name="productId" type="string" length="50" not-null="true" />
      <property name="productName" type="string" length="255" not-null="true" />     
      <many-to-one name="store" class="Store" column="store_id" insert="false" update="false" not-null="true" />
      <many-to-one name="user" class="StoreUser" column="user_id" insert="false" update="false" />

<many-to-one name="data" column="requestNumber" class="DataLink" insert="false" update="false" not-found="ignore" lazy="proxy"/>
   </class>

Code:
   <class name="DataLink" mutable="false" lazy="true">
   <subselect>
       select requestNumber,
              subjectId,
       from   dblink('host=127.0.0.1
                      dbname=dbname
                      user=someuser
                      password=pass',
                      'select req.code,
                              subj.subj_id,
                            from subject subj
                            join request req on subj.subj_id = req.subj_id')
       returns (requestnumber bigint,
                subjectid character varying(255)
       )   
       </subselect>
      <id name="requestNumber" column="requestnumber" type="long" access="field" />     
      <property name="subjectId" type="string" access="field" length="38" not-null="true" />
   </class>

Full stack trace of any exception that occurs:
none

Name and version of the database you are using:
PostgreSQL 8.2

The generated SQL (show_sql=true):

select
requestnumber as requestn1_0_0_,
subjectid as subjectId0_0_,

from dblink('host=127.0.0.1
dbname=dbname
user=someuser
password=pass',
'select req.code,
subj.subj_id,
from subject subj
join request req on subj.subj_id = req.subj_id')
returns (requestnumber bigint,
subjectid character varying(255)
)

above one displayed n times[quote][/quote]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]