-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: Newbie:What happens if persisted class structure is modified
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:43 pm 

Hi folks. I'll be preparing to use hibernate for a project i have.

I'm designing something close to a little framework for testcases (currently design phase), and want to use Hibernate to manage all the testcases and logs and everything.

And now it struck me, and i didn't manage to find an answer yet. Though I'm trying hard to make a good design, the structure of my classes are bound to change, as I'm implementing support for further extensions.

If the core structure of what i'm persisting changes (let's say I'll add later support for saving tested application state, and reverting to it), how will this go with Hibernate and the database? As i can't afford to lose the before-saved testcases and logs..

Say i have a simplified class TestCase that contains a list of Action objects, and a LogDeposit object (where i store every run's logs). I persist a couple of TestCase objects to the database, but later i want TestCase to contain another AppStateManager object. What happens when i try to load a prior "version" of this class into memory? Additional details would be helpful..

I'd really appreciate the help, it would guide me to a better understanding on how to design this thing.

PS: i've never used hibernate before, so i'd appreciate not getting into confusing details at this point

Thank you

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]