-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Terminology Question...
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:27 pm 

We (the company I work for) wanted to implement Hibernate as our persistence layer, but I am having a little trouble find answers because of terminology...

I have a lot of questions about updating databases. We write software and when the software starts we check the database version (not the database software version) to make sure it is up to date. If not we run through a series of code to update database (adding tables, altering columns, inserting data, dropping tables).

Is there a term I should be searching for to bring up topics like this? Will Hibernate handle this type of database manipulation? Anyone know of any examples of this situation?

Post subject: hbm2dll.auto = validate
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:42 pm 

Hey. You might check out the 'validate' setting for the configuration property "hbm2dll.auto" -- its supposed to check that your hibernate meta-data model matches the existins schema in the database.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:08 pm 

I took a look at that... and it seems that it will update the database by adding the columns / tables that need to be added. BUT... am I right in seeing that it will not drop tables / columns that are no longer needed?

Example:
Table: Employee
Columns: ID, Name

This worked fine for a while, but now we need to store First name and Last name separately... so we need it to look like...
Table Employee
Columns: ID, FirstName, LastName

Can hibernate handle this? should I be looking somewhere else?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:51 am 

I took a look at the DDL hibernate tool... and it seems rather nice...
but I need to accomplish the database 'refactor' in my application.

Does no other company deal with this issue?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:58 am 

I don't really know about this stuff cause I haven't used it, but the book says that you can also do that schema validation with code.

There's a class called SchemaValidator( Configuration conf ) that can provide some schema checking functionality.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]