-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 
 Post subject: Why is this property not lazy?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:08 am 
Regular
Regular

Hibernate version:

Mapping documents:
<class name="Member" table="dbo.MEMBER">
<many-to-one name="parent" column="PARENTID" property-ref="parentId" lazy="true" class="Member"/>
</class>

I've got this query that selects some Members. However, for every member that's returned, another select is issued to get the parent, which is also a member. I thought everything was supposed to be lazy by default? Why is Hibernate running all these unneeded selects? Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 1:20 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

prefer fetch attribute, lazy need some instrumentation (for many-to-one and property)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 7:10 pm 
Regular
Regular

I've tried all possible combinations of "lazy" and "fetch", as well as leaving "lazy" out. Nothing's worked so far.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:22 am 

I'm also needing badly this functionality - I think I could invest some of my coding time to do it, but I'm still pretty new to Hibernate (I've been debug-stepping over it several times, but still don't have a real grasp of the nuts and bolts). Could I give a hand with it? Does somebody have already an idea how this could be accomplished? Are there any resources available (besides the code itself, of course) where one could learn Hibernate implementation details?

José A. Romero L.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:56 am 
Expert
Expert

pkulak wrote:
I've tried all possible combinations of "lazy" and "fetch", as well as leaving "lazy" out. Nothing's worked so far.

What does your entire mapping file look like ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:58 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Same problem!
many-to-one relations with property-ref are all eager...
is this going to have any kind of solution in near future?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:39 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

There is no way to guaranty object unicity in the session if proeprty-ref associations are not loaded.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:05 am 
Beginner
Beginner

I agree this to be a default solution BUT it would be interesting, at least, to let the designer take a little control of this situation and leave a property to make it happen lazily.

My case:

I have a legacy table (e.g. TableOne) with 6 many-to-one property-ref relations.

What I only need is to lazily load these 6 tables every time I load a row from TableOne...

As some of these tables have, besides, some many-to-one property-ref relations, every time I try to load a row from TableOne I get 11 additional selects.

If I suppress property-ref, change my legacy database foreign keys to point to primary keys in secondary tables and change row data accordingly (uf!...), every read row does not get any may-to-one relation read automatically... instead, the secondary tables are read lazily as needed = everything is OK!.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 12:01 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

No, think on it. Removing this object unicity restriction will break everything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:51 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

I do not get the point of this situation...

Why if I suppress property-ref (use foreign key against primary key) I can use lazy loading and if I use property-ref everything must be eager?.

What I only suggest is to let the designer decide it using a property... If unicity breaks somewhere in any entity, there can be always the alternative of not using it... Now there is no alternative, only automatic solution...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:29 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

If you break unicity, you might lead to infinite loops in Hibernate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:41 am 
Beginner
Beginner

I could say this is a designer problem but I am not going to say it...

I have changed a few tables relation to many-to-one primary key and the speed is considerable faster...

Have you noticed that people using legacy databases having this situation are consideralbly penalized because of this eager automatic selects?.

Anyway and finally I suppose that if you cannot make it possible is because the cons are superior to the pros...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:47 am 

Please, is there any solution now?
I have the same problem but can't change the relations:

http://forum.hibernate.org/viewtopic.php?t=978077

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]