-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: One-to-one mapping with a specified column
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:19 am 
Beginner
Beginner

Hey, I'm trying to map a one-to-one relationship from a table I'm creating to a table that currently exists; the default behavior for a one-to-one relationship is just to have the two entities have the same id value; this is not an option for me. I want to create a one-to-one relationship in which hibernate maps the relation with an additional column in the table.

For example:
I want a one-to-one relation of students to lockers;

so I have student(id, name) and locker (id, number). The default behavior is for the student and locker to have the same id value; what I need to do is: student(id, name, lockerid) and locker(id, number) where lockerid is the id of the locker entry. I can't seem to make the one-to-one mapping behave like this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:56 am 

There is a bit at the end of section 5.1.11 in the hibernate documentation about this (http://www.hibernate.org/hib_docs/v3/reference/en/html_single/#mapping-declaration-onetoone).

It is a little bit unintuitive but you need to use a many-to-one association with the unique setting set to true instead of one-to-one.

So for your particular case I would expect the mapping for the Student class to contain something like:

Code:
<many-to-one name="locker" class="Locker" column="lockerid" unique="true"/>

If the association is bi-directional then I would also expect the mapping for the Locker class to contain something like:

Code:
<one-to-one name"student" class="Student" property-ref="locker"/>

Cheers

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]