-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Hibernate vs. Swing-SQL bindings?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:10 am 
Beginner
Beginner

Hello,

First of all a big thank you for Hibernate. Although I have not used it in any larger project till now, I hope I had known Hibernate for much longer. It would habe solved so many problems ;)

Currently I've to convert an old access-database to a Postgres or MySQL based solution, and because the old DB was horrible I'll do a complete re-design.

I wonder what you would recommend me for this type of application - Hibernate or one of those Swing-Database bindings.
Currently the only opensource-binding I know of is SwingSet http://swingset.sourceforge.net which helped me to create some simple projects in next-to-null time :)

Do you know other opensource Swing/SQL Databindings, I searched some time arround but didn't find something like Swing-Set.
How would you realize this application?

I've also hear of using a general swing-binding farmework in conjunction with Hibernate. However I don't have any clue what this does mean :-/

Thank you in advance, lg Clemens[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:51 pm 
Expert
Expert

Hibernate "core" has no direct relationship to the "presentational" layer and never will have (though I'm not a developer of the team, be aware, just saying what I think is the reality).

Projects could be created to add a binding layer to Hibernate. From what I know, the only project that could be considered as db-to-ui solution using H3 might be Seam (though I didn't use it yet, so consider this with caution :p).

I guess what you heard about Swing-Binding is refering to the JSR 295 : "Beans Binding" => https://beansbinding.dev.java.net/ the results of this JSR should be packaged with the next major version of the JDK : Dolphin (Java 7). At the moment, the project is still a work-in-progress.

I don't know any other alternative to this SwingSet project.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:59 am 
Beginner
Beginner

Thanks for your answer.

Well I know that presentation logic has nothing to do with hibernate, however I am currently looking for a way to build a large but simple database frontend.

So there would be three ways I could imagine:
1.) Use a presentaion/binding layer like SwingSet or Borland's DBSwin
2.) Use some technique to efficiently put the values from the widgets into objetcts which then could be persisted using hibernate.
3.) Use some all-in-one java tool which creates appropriate code or whatever.

I already did a project the first way and it worked quite well but I am a bit uncertain about how this would scale.

2. seems to be quite well thought but I don' know to do it.

3.) Does anybody know such tools.

Thank you in advance, lg Clemens

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]