-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Configuring Hibernate for multiple databases
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 5:06 am 

Hi all,

I have a requirement in which I should be able to connect to multiple databases dynamically using Hibernate.

I can use multiple configuration files and call configure(String filename) to create SessionFactory object. But my requirement is that multiple databases get connected dynamically which I am unaware of, so I would not be able to configure them in prior using separate config files.

I would like to explain the architecture we have-
There is a GUI, a controller and a model. This model could be a distributed one, ie., there can be no. of datasources running in multiple servers.

For the connectivity between the controller and the model, we are using Hibernate. And these datasources are connected dynamically to the controller at run-time. Hence we do not know the connectivity parameters beforehand. So, how to resolve this?

Thanks,
Deepa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 6:30 am 
Regular
Regular

Hi,

>>>i) I have a requirement in which I should be able to connect to multiple databases dynamically using Hibernate.
ii) I would not be able to configure them in prior using separate config files.

You can build the Configuration Object and SessionFactory at run-time when connection parameters are available.
It is not mandatory to have configuration files. ( hibernate.cfg.xml )

org.hibernate.Configuration configuration = new org.hibernate.Configuration() ;
configuration.addResource("MyMapping.hbm.xml") ;

String myDriverClass ; // I get the value at run time.
Properties p = new Properties() ;
p.setProperty("connection.driver_class", myDriverClass ) ;
...... // set required properties
configuration.setProperties(p) ;
configuration.buildSessionFactory() ;

However,
i) Creation of sessionFactory takes time ( normally done at setup).
ii) Handle it properly, once created. ( do not resort to re-creation )

------------------------------------------------
Rate the reply if you find it helpful

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]