-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: Relating on ID as opposed to class/object
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:04 am 

I have a relationship between two objects which is someone difficult.

One object DBFunctionConnection has a relationship to another object DBCircuit. Like so.

Code:
public final class DBFunctionConnection implements IDSFunctionConnection, Serializable, Cloneable{
    /**
    */
   private static final long serialVersionUID = 1L;
   /*
     * Hibernate spec version 3.2.0.ga section 4.1.2 states that transitive
     * reattachment of detached objects requires an identifier.  So we have one.
     */
    private Long id; // identifier
    //private DBCircuit circuit;
    private Long circuit;
}

The issue is, DBFunctionConnection is serialized but DBCircuit is not and can not and should not be made to serialize, due to other application requirements. Thus, while I normally would have DBFunctionConnection contain DBCircuit, I have taken to instead of DBFunctionConnection contain a Long which is the id of the circuit in question.

However, I have accomplished this through trickery. My DDL hbm.xml file for DBFunctionConnection is like so;
Code:
<hibernate-mapping>
  <class name="com.rgdsft.hib.core.DBFunctionConnection" table="dbfunctionconnection" lazy="false">
    <id name="id" type="long">
       <generator class="native"/>
   </id>

<!-- this is for DDL only -->
    <many-to-one name="circuit" class="com.rgdsft.hib.core.DBCircuit" column="circuitid" access="field" lazy="false" not-null="false"/>

</class>
</hibernate-mapping>

But the xml file I use for runtime is like so;
Code:
<hibernate-mapping>
  <class name="com.rgdsft.hib.core.DBFunctionConnection" table="dbfunctionconnection" lazy="false">
    <id name="id" type="long">
       <generator class="native"/>
   </id>

<property name="circuit" column="circuitid" access="field" type="long"/>
  </class>
</hibernate-mapping>

Almost the same but I have changed the many-to-one relationship normally there for a simple property at runtime. This has worked for quite a while. I think it should work as hibernate does not care about much if the db format matches the hbm.xml definition.

But lately I have started to get another error which research showed typically came from mapping vs. class mixups.

Failed to execute transaction
org.hibernate.PropertyAccessException: IllegalArgumentException occurred calling getter of com.rgdsft.hib.core.DBObject.id
at org.hibernate.property.BasicPropertyAccessor$BasicGetter.get(BasicPropertyAccessor.java:171)

Personally, my mapping does match my class so I am skeptical if that is my issue. Anyway, the question for this post, is there a better way to accomplish what I am trying here!?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]