-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: hibernate.id vs normalized databases
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:34 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Hi,

I am about to start writing my master's project and I have first solid dilema.

I have a choice
1. create as normalized db as it is possible, using multiple primary keys and complitated hibernate composite keys. The advantage - well designed database.
2. create java classes extending base model with hibernate.id and set it as primary key in each table, even many-to-many junction tables (or maybe here i could make an exception). The disadvantage - not good database - i.e. class:
Worker
hibernate.id id
personalID - unique personal data, one in the country for one person,
otherNumber - unique personal data, one in the country for one person,
I NEED TO HAVE TWO fields which normally would be primary keys - if I had only personalID, my problem would be simple resolved - put unique constraint to avoid data repetition. But there will be tables with >=2 id fields apart from hibernate.id (third one). To the bes of my knowledge I can't set composite unique constraints on a table. in POSTGRE SQL 8

then i would have possibility to put into my db the same worker many times, which is an error. Nex disadventage would be that befor insert of such a worker i would hav to check in my code if he hasn't been already inserted.

But i've found in your tutorial http://www.hibernate.org/hib_docs/v3/re ... rial-intro :

Quote:
The id property holds a unique identifier value for a particular event. All persistent entity classes (there are less important dependent classes as well) will need such an identifier property if we want to use the full feature set of Hibernate. In fact, most applications (esp. web applications) need to distinguish objects by identifier, so you should consider this a feature rather than a limitation. However, we usually don't manipulate the identity of an object, hence the setter method should be private. Only Hibernate will assign identifiers when an object is saved. You can see that Hibernate can access public, private, and protected accessor methods, as well as (public, private, protected) fields directly. The choice is up to you and you can match it to fit your application design.

So could u please tell me why should I follow it? I am not experienced enough to outnumber the disadvantages that i've mentioned.
Could u point them to me so that i could use these hints in my project ?
I have to justify resigning from normilized db and putting some objectId in each table just for hibernate..

I also want to use HibernateTemplate :
protected BaseModel readModel(Class clazz, Long id) {
return (BaseModel) getHibernateTemplate().load(clazz,id);
}
but I could always make a select query.

Post subject: any experienced hibernatist :P ?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:06 am 
Beginner
Beginner

is there any experienced hibernatist that could answer :P ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:07 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

your db will still be normalized if you use surrogate id's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:58 am 
Expert
Expert

But you'll still be better off (IMO) by having a single primary key on each table if your are designing from scratch. If they serve no other purpose that as a row identifier, it will still make your ORM life easier in the long run. For instance (as I believe you mentioned), it allows you to extends your POJOs from a single base class with an identifier, and lemme tell you, there is a lot of common functionality that you would want to incorporate in a base class. This also allows you to write generic DAO methods, using the BaseModel (or whatever) class to perform common operations (persist, delete, etc).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:10 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

You do not need a base class to implement generic DAOs. You need generics: http://www.hibernate.org/328.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:59 am 
Expert
Expert

I certainly already use that methodology for DAOs, and highly suggest it! But I also derive all of my model classes from BaseModel, which allows me to use <T extends BaseModel> in the generics of the DAOs, which then allows me to implement more common functionality (e.g. all my model also have 4 auditing columns, create_by, create_date, etc). So, for example, I can write a findByCreatedDate() function in my BaseDao and BaseHibernateDao classes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:19 am 
Expert
Expert

herbatniczek wrote:
I NEED TO HAVE TWO fields which normally would be primary keys - if I had only personalID, my problem would be simple resolved - put unique constraint to avoid data repetition. But there will be tables with >=2 id fields apart from hibernate.id (third one). To the bes of my knowledge I can't set composite unique constraints on a table. in POSTGRE SQL 8

PostgreSQL certainly does allow multi-column unique constraints. From the docs (http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/ddl-constraints.html):

Quote:
If a unique constraint refers to a group of columns, the columns are listed separated by commas:

CREATE TABLE example (
a integer,
b integer,
c integer,
UNIQUE (a, c)
);

Hibernate has a <natural-id> you can use to identify your unique columns
(http://www.hibernate.org/hib_docs/v3/reference/en/html_single/#mapping-declaration-naturalid)
(http://www.hibernate.org/hib_docs/v3/reference/en/html_single/#query-criteria-naturalid)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]