-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Database Transaction Log file
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:40 am 

Hello,

I have the following situation and need a hint how to go on.The situation is i'm using the
Application server - WebSphere 6.1,
Tivoli Performance Viewer in Websphere is enabled,
Hibernate 3.0,
Database - Oracle 9i,
in a clustered environment.

The problem i'm facing is over a period of 4 hours the Database Transaction Log file (NOT the log4J logger file) size which is created in the Database server reaches around 300 GB which is very very huge.
To be precise in that 4 hour , in each second around 4 to 5 files are created which is of 100MB size.

Actually we also have another similar application (that uses the same database, application framework etc but for DB layer we used plain JDBC instead of hibernate) that did not cause huge transaction logs.

This application (the one with Hibernate) did not have any problem initially when the number of hits was less. Later we did some performance tuning (fine tuning SQL Query statements alone) to support more hits, after then this problem occurred. The other application without hibernate also has the same number of hits but do not produce huge transaction logs.

Can anyone here tell me a way how to solve my problem.

Hibernate Version :

Name and Version of the Database :
Oracle 9i

Thanks in Advance
Srini

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:53 am 
Regular
Regular

This is really not a Hibernate question.

However typically there are 2 key types of DB logs: 1. Transaction Logs 2. Re-do logs.

1. Transaction logs are the logs that audit every DDL/DML done against a connection. These logs will grow till the transaction is committed or rolled back. If this is the log that is growing, then you might want to get a dBA invovled on what long running transactions are there in the application and fine tune those SQL/HQLs

2. Once a transaction completes (commit or rollback), the entries are typically transferred to the redo logs. The redo logs are typically for backup/restore/diaster recovery purposes. If this log is growing you just need to put a "archival" process in place that moves this to a tape or something like that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:53 am 
Regular
Regular

This is really not a Hibernate question.

However typically there are 2 key types of DB logs: 1. Transaction Logs 2. Re-do logs.

1. Transaction logs are the logs that audit every DDL/DML done against a connection. These logs will grow till the transaction is committed or rolled back. If this is the log that is growing, then you might want to get a dBA invovled on what long running transactions are there in the application and fine tune those SQL/HQLs

2. Once a transaction completes (commit or rollback), the entries are typically transferred to the redo logs. The redo logs are typically for backup/restore/diaster recovery purposes. If this log is growing you just need to put a "archival" process in place that moves this to a tape or something like that.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]