-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Can I include a Java function in an hql query?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:18 am 

Bear with me... This isn't as odd as it sounds...

I want to write an hql query like this:

"from Person p where p.name='Smith' and p.age > 20"

where 'name' is a standard Hibernate mapped and persisted field but 'age' is programmatically generated.

It looks like I need to map the 'age' field in my hbm mapping in order to include it in my hql query. The problem is that the implementation of the age method doesn't get its value directly from a database column and it isn't persisted in the database. It's a calculation I do in my Java code. (I don't think it is a 'generated' field in the normal sense of a database generated field).

Is there a way to tell Hibernate that the field 'age' is programmtically generated in Java code and not by the database?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:58 am 
Expert
Expert

Hi pfarwell,

use formula in HBM for age and you could able to do same thing in HQL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:55 am 

Thanks for the advice.

I considered using the formula feature, but my understanding is that formulas are themselves hql (or hql fragments) that run against the database. I'm looking for a way to call a java method (a getter), rather than invoking a db select. Is it possible to use formulas for something other than db selects?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:22 am 
Expert
Expert

Hi pfarwell,

then you need to handle it in business layer .Hibernate works on DB.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]