-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Best way to implement "features" column
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:14 pm 

I'd like to get some opinions on what would be the best way to implement a features property. I have an object that has many "features" associated with it, properties such as "supports_xml" or "uses_department_code". I'd like to avoid a separate column for each feature, since there are so many of them. I'd also like to avoid creating a table linking features to objects.

Is there a way to implement this in an .hbm.xml? Prior to hibernate, we would store an integer in the database and logical-or it with powers of 2 to extract the state of a property, but I suspect with hibernate there is a more elegant solution.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:47 pm 

Storing an integer and ORing is fine. To incorporate this into hibernate you should create a dedicated type (e.g. org.hibernate.usertype.UserType) and a corresponding object.

Once you have create your type and the object (say FetauresType and Features) you can do something like

Code:
  MyEntity {
    @Type(type = "whatever.FeaturesType")
    Features features;
  }

and from you description I would suppose that the Features object would be simply

Code:
  Features {
    private final static SUPPORTS_XML = 0x80;

private final int featuresCode;

public boolean supportsXml() {
      return featuresCode & SUPPORTS_XML == SUPPORTS_XML;
    }
  }

HTH, PL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:57 pm 

If I wanted to create a direct method such as entity.supportsXml() instead of entity.getFeatures().supportsXml(), is this possible within the .hbm.xml? I am using the hbm2java for POJO generation and my understanding is that the only way to use .supportsXml() as an abbreviation for .getFeatures().supportsXml() would be to add it into the POJO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:38 pm 
Regular
Regular

Another option could be to store those data as 1 XML (and if you want OO feature use JAXB). However you will lose the option of sorting/searching by those attributes.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]