-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Comparing a Map value against a String
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 2:49 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Hibernate version: 2.1.7c
Name and version of the database you are using: Firebird 1.5.2

This seems like a simple thing but I can't seem to get it to work...

We have a main object Printer that has a Map of Feature objects, and the Feature objects in turn have a Map of Setting objects. The key in each map is the feature or setting name, so Printer might have one map entry whose key is the String "NetworkFeature" and whose value is a NetworkFeature object.

I can attach the *.hbm.xml if necessary later but I'm hoping you can just look at my query and see something dumb I'm doing :-)

I can execute THIS query, and I get back a list of the Printer objects that have a NetworkFeature element that has a contactName setting:

select distinct p from Printer p where p.features['NetworkFeature'].settings['contactName'] is not null);

But when I try to check for a specific contactName, like this:

select distinct p from Printer p where p.features['NetworkFeature'].settings['contactName']='John Smith'"

I get this exception:

org.springframework.jdbc.UncategorizedSQLException: (Hibernate operation): encountered SQLException [GDS Exception. 335544334. conversion error from string "John Smith"]; nested exception is org.firebirdsql.jdbc.FBSQLException: GDS Exception. 335544334. conversion error from string "John Smith"
org.firebirdsql.jdbc.FBSQLException: GDS Exception. 335544334. conversion error from string "John Smith"
at org.firebirdsql.jdbc.AbstractPreparedStatement.internalExecute(AbstractPreparedStatement.java:503)
at ...

I have tried replacing the 'John Smith' in the query with ? and :contactName and calling setString, setText, setParameter and all sorts of variations, but I can't seem to get this to work.

Any ideas???

-Jeff

Post subject: Aha!
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 3:45 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

I got the following to work.

Code:
select distinct p from Printer p, NetworkFeature f, Setting s
where
   p.features['NetworkFeature'] = f and
   f.settings['contactName'] = s and
   s.value = 'John Smith'

-Jeff

Post subject: Aha #2
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 4:41 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

I figure someday some other poor schmuck will be trying to figure this out, so I'll just append the next thing that person is likely to trip over, since I did.

In order to extend the query to match multiple feature/settings, I needed a separate feature and setting in the select.

Code:
select distinct p from
   Printer p, NetworkFeature f, Setting s, CopyFeature f2, Setting s2
where
   (p.features['NetworkFeature'] = f and f.settings['contactName'] = s and s.value = 'Nick Mudd')
and
   (p.features['CopyFeature'] = f2 and f2.settings['duplex'] = s2 and s2.value = 'Off')

I really feel like I earned my salary today :-)
-Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:48 pm 
Expert
Expert

One poor schmuck, right here :-D Thanks very much for this tip, it's EXACTLY what I needed RIGHT NOW.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]