-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: how to delete a many to many relation when child is removed
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:25 am 

Hi:

I have the bellow problem:

I have many-to-many relationship, but when i delete a child the relation is still alive.

For example:
[houses] 0..* <----> 0..* [owners]

The relation table is [rel_houses_owners].

When i delete a register from [owners] table i want all the registers on [rel_houses_owners] that refered to the [owners] deleted register will be deleted also.

But i dont know how to say that to hibernate.

Thanx.
d2clon

Post subject: use two one-to-many associations instead
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:47 pm 

When using a many-to-many association cascade="all", cascade="delete", and cascade="all-delete-orphans" aren't meaningful. That's because you might delete an instance that can have other parents pointing to it.

If you want to delete rows from the association table (rel_houses_owners) then I would suggest using two one-to-many relationships instead of many-to-many.

You would need one-to-many from owners to house_owners and many-to-one from house_owners to owners. This will allow you to cascade deletes in owner to house_owners without deleting the owner.

Use of many-to-many often leads to the solution described above and is hence discouraged.

Post subject: Re: use two one-to-many associations instead
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:52 am 
Beginner
Beginner

rstoya05-aop wrote:
When using a many-to-many association cascade="all", cascade="delete", and cascade="all-delete-orphans" aren't meaningful. That's because you might delete an instance that can have other parents pointing to it.

If you want to delete rows from the association table (rel_houses_owners) then I would suggest using two one-to-many relationships instead of many-to-many.

You would need one-to-many from owners to house_owners and many-to-one from house_owners to owners. This will allow you to cascade deletes in owner to house_owners without deleting the owner.

Use of many-to-many often leads to the solution described above and is hence discouraged.

no another solutions?

Post subject: YELP...........
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:46 pm 

Can somebody explain how to actually go about it, because Im working on the same things as rstoya said .A relates to A_B with one-to-many and A_B relates to B with many-to-one. Things work fine for retrieval but when i try to insert data into the table it blows up giving :

org.hibernate.PropertyAccessException: IllegalArgumentException occurred calling getter of A.A_To_B.b at org.hibernate.property.BasicPropertyAccessor$BasicGetter.get(BasicPropertyAccessor.java:171) at .........Blah Blah.....

where b is instance of B.java.

Actually my join table is nothing but has composite key of a combination of foreign keys from A and B., And has no more columns.

Thus the composite key has A_BPK key class , which mentions about the composite-key and error comes up whenever that A_BPK.java is accessed. If somebody has gone thru the same pain ,he should come forward for my rescue.
The error is thrown at BasicPropertyAccessr and BasicGetter.

Thanks.........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:14 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

I posted mappings in another thread that show how to do it. In my case the relationship table is crew member. The one-to-many is vessel arrival -> crew member. The many-to-one is crew member -> person.

http://forum.hibernate.org/viewtopic.php?t=968048

Grant

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]