-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: Race Condition persisting @ManyToMany?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:14 pm 

I seem to have found a race condition that overwrites rows in the join table in a @ManyToMany relationship. Here's a simplified example:

class Employee {
@Id
@Column( name = "EMPLOYEE_ID" )
private long id;

@Column( name = "NAME" )
private String name;

@ManyToMany( mappedBy = "employees", cascade = CascadeType.ALL )
private List< Employer > employers = new ArrayList< Employer >();
}

class Employer {
@Id
@Column( name = "EMPLOYER_ID" )
private long id;

@ManyToMany
@JoinTable( name = "JOIN_TABLE", joinColumns = { @JoinColumn( name = "EMPLOYEE_ID" ) }, inverseJoinColumns = { @JoinColumn( name = "EMPLOYER_ID" ) } )
private List< Employee > employees = new ArrayList< Employee >();
}

My code looks something like:

Employee john = new Employee();
john.setName( "John" );
Employer employer = employerDao.findEmployer( employerName );
john.getEmployers().add( employer );
employer.getEmployees().add( john );
employeeDao.persist( john );

While running single-threaded, everything works perfectly. However, when running multi-threaded, the entries in the JOIN_TABLE are not consistently persisted. For instance, say I am trying persist employee "John" and employee "Jane", both linked to the same employer, in two different threads with two different transactions. Occasionally, after both threads commit, the JOIN_TABLE only includes a mapping from "Jane" to the employer, and "John" is nowhere to be seen. No exceptions are thrown.

I noticed that if I change the order of the mappings by making the Employee the "parent" association, it always works as expected.

Has anyone seen this error before? Is it a bug, or am I doing something wrong?

I'm using Hibernate Annotations 3.4.0.GA, Hibernate Core 3.3.2.GA, and Hibernate Entity Manager 3.4.0.GA. Spring 2.5.5 and Bitronix 1.3.3 are also in use.

Thanks,
Dan Nawrocki

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]