-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Deleting child object from parent
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:25 am 

Hibernate version:3.0

I have two classes, parent and child, where one parent can have a set of children. Now, I would like to delete a child.

Is there some way for me to delete this child, just using session.delete(child), without also having to remove the child object from the set of children stored in the parent object?

like:
public void delete(Child selectedChildToRemove) {
children.getParent().removeChild(selectedChildToRemove); //could I skip this line?
session.delete(selectedChildToRemove);
session.flush();
}

It seems to work, but i'm unsure wheter its the right way to go, if I configure the set like:
<class name="Parent" table="COUNTRY">
<set name="children" lazy="false" inverse="true" cascade="all-delete-orphan">
<key column="PARENT_ID" not-null="false" />
<one-to-many class="Child" />
</set>
</class>

All help is very apreciated.
Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:14 am 
Senior
Senior

you can't skip that line as the deleted object will be resaved (because of the cascade setting) when you save the parent object. another appproach is to always save the parent object after you remove the child from the collection. in this case you don't need the session.delete call.

HTH,
radu

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]