-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Dodgy Legacy tables and composite foriegn keys
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 4:33 am 
Beginner
Beginner

Im working with some old database tables which I cant change.
Each table has a primary key field - which is just obtained from a sequence.
This field in each table has no business meaning.
There are logical relationships between the tables - which should have been defined as foriegn keys (note the relationships have nothing to do with the ID fields - they are based on "business" fields).
There are no foreign keys defined in the database.

Im trying to decide whether hibernate will be a good choice in this scenario...

Will I still be able to do collection mappings based on the fields even though there are no FKs?
Am I likely to hit problems due to the fact that the primary key fields (ID) wont be used as the fields in collection joins?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:17 am 
Beginner
Beginner

Never mind.....

Pulled some strings and got it agreed that surrogate keys and FKs can be added to each table.

Post subject: i'm doing something similar
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:23 am 

i'm doing something similar. I have a master table with it's own PK a sequence generated number in sql server. however the child records are in a table linked by two fields and ordered by a third, account,order and line number. The child record s also have a database generated sequence id. I'm failing miserably to get composites to work with this stuff...

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]