-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Association using join table with extra information
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:23 am 

(This is a legacy database problem)

I have three tables,

project
company
project_involvement

The project_involvement table joins projects and companies, so it contains project_id and company_id.

But it also contains role_id, because companies can be involved with a project in various ways. One particular way of being involved is being the "main contact". This means the role_id in project_involvement is 23. For projects I want a method call getContact(), so I want to map the contact property in the project:

My current mapping for Project looks like this:

Code:
    <join table="pro_involvement" subselect="select * from project_involvement where role_id = 23" optional="true" >
      <key column="project_id"/>
      <many-to-one name="contact" column="company_id"/>
    </join>

I'm not thrilled about this subquery approach, as it is really not needed, adding a constraint to the join is a simple straightforward solution.

The manual contains something similiar:
http://www.hibernate.org/hib_docs/v3/re ... oc-complex

But it's not quite the same. I haven't been able to use the <properties> and property-ref trick because the role_id is in the join table and not in the company or project table.

What I need is some way of adding a join condition to the join, but how to do this is not immediately obvious to me. I have several similiar cases in this database, so I would be very happy if a more elegant solution could be found.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:28 pm 
Expert
Expert

If you must use join, then that's your only option, as far as I'm aware.

If you can change to a collection or an association (one-to-one, many-to-one, etc.), then you can use polymorphism and discriminator support, or the where="" clause.

One of my apps had a slightly more complicated version of the same problem. I chose to use <set where=""> mixed with <subclass discriminator="">. It means that I had to create several java classes that are used only in the mapping, but it works very cleanly. To extrapolate from your example, even though my top-level class has getMainContacts, getPotentialContacts, and getHistoricalContacts methods that all return instances of the Contact interface, I had to create a MainContactImpl class, a PotentialContactImpl class and an HistoricalContactImpl class.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:43 am 

Thanks for the response. I've actually used a similiar approach to the one you're describing for a different case. But in this case I wanted a more dynamic approach because the roles tend to change more. I actually got a new requirement yesterday: There's a need for a method named getBuyers(), but buyers are found using (role_id = 4 OR role_id = 31).

From what I understand, I can't use a set because I need to use the join table containing the involvements. But is there any reason there can't be a where="" attribute on the <join>?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:36 pm 
Expert
Expert

Well, the join tag becomes a SQL join, and the syntax of SQL joins is:
Code:
[inner|full|left|right] join {table [alias]} on {expression}
There's no where clause in there, unless expression includes a subselect. So that would be the reason that there's no where attributes on the join element.

Obviously I don't know your scema or POJO domain, but by and large you can always substitue an association (simple or collection) for a join. If you want the "parent" object to look like a single simple object, then you can use delegation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:54 am 

I guess I was being a bit unclear. As you say, there's no where clause. But there is the on clause, which can contain arbitrary join condititions. What I want to do is as simple as adding role_id = 23 to the ON condition. It's trivial to do in SQL, so it's surprising that's it's so hard to do in Hibernate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:31 pm 
Expert
Expert

It's not really well supported because it's unnecessary. As far as your DB is concerned, these two statements are equally efficient:
Code:
select * from A a
join B b on a.bid = b.bid and b.property = 7
Code:
select * from A a
join B b on a.bid = b.bid
where b.property = 7
The second option is easily handled by Hibernate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:31 am 

After some reconsiderations I decided to map all project involvements as the involvements property on the projects, and then use HQL/Collection filtering to implement the getContact() and getBuyers() methods. Something in my was struggling against this approach because I was being too SQL-centric, but it works quite well.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]