-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: joined-subclass with a discriminator column
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:40 am 

Hibernate version: 3.0.5

So, I have a three tiered inheritance hierarchy:

I start with base class A which has its own db table. Class B subclasses A, has its own db table, and is mapped using <joined-subclass>. Classes C and D subclass B, but have no additional fields and therefore do not need their own additional db tables. It makes sense that the inheritance relationship between class B and its subclasses C and D should be mapped with a table-per-hierarchy style, which would require a discriminator column in class B.

This is where my problem comes in. Remember that class B is a <joined-subclass> because it extends class A. The mapping DTD does not allow <discriminator> inside of a <joined-subclass>, and my project won't deploy when I put one in. This prevents me from mapping classes C and D in a table-per-hierarchy with class B.

Is forbidding <discriminator> in <joined-subclass> simply an oversight or is there a technical reason for this? Is there a solution to this problem that I am overlooking? Please note that I know I can make separate tables for classes C and D that contain only ids in order to make C and D joined-subclasses as well, but this fills my db with dummy tables and I'd naturally like to avoid that.

Thanks much for you consideration in this issue!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:23 am 
Pro
Pro

Hi,

we had the same problem.
Hibernate does not support the mixing of inheritance strategies.
There are two solutions to this:

1. Write DTO classes for B,C and D. These can be mapped by discriminator
hierarchy. And map class A to its table directly. You certainly have more to do manually when loading and saving.

2. write you own persister class. You can look at JoinedSubclassEntityPersister for a starter. This is certainly difficult.

Hope this helps.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]