-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: newbie: Update Statement Query Exception
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:40 pm 

Need help with Hibernate? Read this first:
http://www.hibernate.org/ForumMailingli ... AskForHelp

Hibernate version:3.1.2

Mapping documents:<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE hibernate-mapping PUBLIC "-//Hibernate/Hibernate Mapping DTD 3.0//EN"
"http://hibernate.sourceforge.net/hibernate-mapping-3.0.dtd">
<hibernate-mapping>
<class name="test.RateLockInfoWrapper" table="dbo.DLAS_Output">
<id name="id">
<column name="DLAS_RecID" not-null="true"/>
</id>
<property name="status">
<column name="DLAS_Record_Processed"/>
</property>
</class>
</hibernate-mapping>

Code between sessionFactory.openSession() and session.close():this.sessionFactory.getCurrentSession().createQuery(UPDATE_HQL).setParameter(0,String.valueOf(maxId)).executeUpdate();

Full stack trace of any exception that occurs:org.hibernate.QueryException: query must begin with SELECT or FROM: UPDATE [UPDATE test.RateLockInfoWrapper rateLockInfoWrapper set rateLockInfoWrapper.status='Y' where rateLockInfoWrapper.id <= ?]
at org.hibernate.hql.classic.ClauseParser.token(ClauseParser.java:83)
at org.hibernate.hql.classic.PreprocessingParser.token(PreprocessingParser.java:108)
at org.hibernate.hql.classic.ParserHelper.parse(ParserHelper.java:28)
at org.hibernate.hql.classic.QueryTranslatorImpl.compile(QueryTranslatorImpl.java:191)
at org.hibernate.hql.classic.QueryTranslatorImpl.compile(QueryTranslatorImpl.java:167)
at org.hibernate.engine.query.HQLQueryPlan.(HQLQueryPlan.java:75)
at org.hibernate.engine.query.HQLQueryPlan.(HQLQueryPlan.java:54)
at org.hibernate.engine.query.QueryPlanCache.getHQLQueryPlan(QueryPlanCache.java:71)
at org.hibernate.impl.AbstractSessionImpl.getHQLQueryPlan(AbstractSessionImpl.java:134)
at org.hibernate.impl.AbstractSessionImpl.createQuery(AbstractSessionImpl.java:113)
at org.hibernate.impl.SessionImpl.createQuery(SessionImpl.java:1602)
at test.RateLockInfoDAO.updateSelectedRateLockInfos(RateLockInfoDAO.java:93)

Name and version of the database you are using:SQL Server

The generated SQL (show_sql=true):N/A

Debug level Hibernate log excerpt:org.hibernate.QueryException: query must begin with SELECT or FROM: UPDATE [UPDATE test.RateLockInfoWrapper rateLockInfoWrapper set rateLockInfoWrapper.status='Y' where rateLockInfoWrapper.id <= ?]

Hi,

I am doing something like this.sessionFactory.getCurrentSession().createQuery(UPDATE_HQL).setParameter(0,String.valueOf(maxId)).executeUpdate(); within my DAO to update rows of a table

The UPDATE_HQL string looks like this:
UPDATE test.RateLockInfoWrapper rateLockInfoWrapper set rateLockInfoWrapper.status='Y' where rateLockInfoWrapper.id <= ?

Hibernate is throwing a QueryException saying 'query must begin with SELECT or FROM: UPDATE'

Could you please let me know why this error is being thrown?
I also tried createSQLQuery instead with SQL statement instead of HQL. But, it seems I cannot call executeUpdate on a SQL statement.

How do I update values of certain columns of a table?

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:46 pm 
Expert
Expert

Use session.connection().createStatement() or similar. Queries are for retrieving data from the database, not for putting data into it.

Post subject: newbie: Update Statement Query Exception
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:09 pm 

Thanks! That worked.

Is there any way to do this in HQL instead of SQL?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:50 pm 
Expert
Expert

HQL is also for queries, so no, you can't issue inserts or updates using it. You could create a new class with just the columns you want to update in it, and use the normal Session save methods.

Post subject: Problem with the documenation?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 4:30 pm 

I ran into a similar issue. The problem as I see it is the main hibernate docs seem to imply that you can issue an update statement using the createQuery syntax:
http://www.hibernate.org/hib_docs/v3/reference/en/html_single/#batch-direct

Code:
Session session = sessionFactory.openSession();
Transaction tx = session.beginTransaction();

String hqlUpdate = "update Customer c set c.name = :newName where c.name = :oldName";
// or String hqlUpdate = "update Customer set name = :newName where name = :oldName";
int updatedEntities = s.createQuery( hqlUpdate )
        .setString( "newName", newName )
        .setString( "oldName", oldName )
        .executeUpdate();
tx.commit();
session.close();

Is this an error in the docs or am I missing something? Thanks for your help,

Jonathan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:49 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

You need to make sure you are using the new antlr-based query parser. The original poster was *not*; he was using the "classic" query parser which does not support update/delete/insert statements in HQL.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]