-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Deleting from a many-to-many self-referential relationship
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:09 pm 

Hi everyone,

As the header says, I have a bi-directional, many-to-many self-referential association. The relationship is stored in a join table with a composite primary key of the 2 foreign keys. My hibernate mapping is similar to this example:

Code:
<class name="ProductClass" table="PRODUCT_TABLE">

<id column="PRODUCT_ID".../>

<set name="primaryProducts" lazy="true" table="PRIMARY_ASSOCIATE_PRODUCTS_TABLE">
        <key column="PRODUCT_ID"/>
        <many-to-many class="ProductClass" column="ASSOCIATE_PRODUCT_ID"/>
    </set>

<set name="associateProducts" inverse="true" lazy="true" table="PRIMARY_ASSOCIATE_PRODUCT_TABLE">
        <key column="ASSOCIATE_PRODUCT_ID"/>
        <many-to-many class="ProductClass" column="PRODUCT_ID"/>
    </set>

</class>

So I retrieve an instance of Product, and make it transient:

Code:
ProductClass thisProduct = findById(product_id);
makeTransient(thisProduct);
commit;

My question is, can I expect Hibernate to find & delete all instances of thisProduct where it is EITHER in the set of primaryProducts or associateProducts (i.e., in either column of PRODUCT_ASSOCIATE_PRODUCT_TABLE)? What's happening now is that thisProduct and all relationships where thisProduct is the primaryProduct are being deleted (the row in PRODUCT_ASSOCIATE_TABLE is deleted). But if thisProduct is the associateProduct, it remains in the PRIMARY_ASSOCIATE_PRODUCT_TABLE and is now orphaned, because the primary key in PRODUCT_TABLE is no longer there.

That does seem like a lot of logic to expect from Hibernate, but how is it even able to delete the PRODUCT_TABLE entry if there are still references to it as an associateProduct? I would think that a cascade option would be necessary, but the docs says that isn't needed for many-to-many relationships.

Thanks for any input.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:43 am 

Ok, so has no one responded because my question is too hard, or the answer is too easy??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:40 am 

I think, if you simply add
Code:
cascade="all,delete-orphan"
on your sets, this shoud do the work.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]