-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: NullPointer flushing a one-to-many from nullable column
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:57 am 

Hi all,

my question is: is it possible to have a one-to-many association modeled as a Set property from a nullable column?

Trying to do it, I recieve a NullPointerException from Hibernate 3.0.5 (and 3.1.2) when flushing a new source object.

Here my test case is:

http://forum.hibernate.org/viewtopic.php?t=955282

Where am I wrong?
Thank you very much for your help,

Enri.

Last edited by Enri on Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:40 pm 
Expert
Expert

My first guess would be that hibernate is calling attivita.setTipologie(null) at some point. Try changing the implementation of the default set in Attivita to
Code:
private Set tipologie = null;
public Set getTipologie() {
  if (tipologie == null) {
    tipologie = new HashSet();
  }
  return tipologie;
}

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:18 am 

Hi tenwit and thank you for your reply.

I have made the change you suggested to me, but the error is still there.

I think Hibernate is trying to get the hashCode of the whole <Tipologia>Collection, calculating it on the value of the column ID_TIPO_ATTIVITA (the tipologia field) on the Attivita entity.
The problem is that ID_TIPO_ATTIVITA is a nullable column and so the NullPointerException. I argued this analyzing the stack trace and with the help of the eclipse debug inside Hibernate source code.

So my question is: is there any way to tell hibernate that my association is an optional association from a nullable column?

Thank you all.

Enrico.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]