-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Something like Mysql_Insert_Id()?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:32 pm 

* Hibernate version: 3.1 *

Hi, i was wondering if there's something in Hibernate like MySQL_Insert_Id() function in PHP / MySQL. I need to know what will be the next identifier in some table (for some object) before calling save(Object), because I need to construct a fileName property of that object using the identifier which I then obviously need before making the actual insert.

I think there must be some trivial solution, but I've been searching the forum for many queries and didn't find anything relevant. Wasn't really sure what words to search for though.

So is there a simple way to find out the identifier for an object that is going to be inserted?

Thanks for help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:53 pm 

The solution I found is I create a basic object with some initial data (Nothing or perhaps some info I already have available, not keyed to the ID of the object,) save it to the database, then the ID of my POJO is set to the ID of the inserted object in the database.

After this has happened, the data objects I need the key for, are added to this original basic object, then saved (saveOrUpdate(basicObject)) again to save the data object with the appropriate key.

Code:
Transaction trx = session.beginTransaction();
Object basic = new Object();
basic.setDate(System.currentTimeMillis());
session.save(basic);
Object nameObject = new Object();
nameObject.setId(basic.getId());
nameObject.setName("My Name Here");
session.saveOrUpdate(nameObject);
basic.setNameObject(nameObject);
session.saveOrUpdate(basic);
trx.commit();

This is just a basic example that may lead you on you way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:30 am 

Thanks, it worked indeed.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]