-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: How does hibernate intercept POJO method calls?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:35 pm 

I have a non-bibernate but interesting java question that hibernate developers could probably answer..

Basically, I want to intercept method calls on normal java beans at run time and map these to changes in a GUI and vice/versa in a generic reusable manner. This would save me a lot of development time as most of the code in a gui is mapping properties of objects in the application model to fields on a GUI. I would rather just register the beans and gui field handlers with a mapper utility would reflect changes in both directions.

As a first thought, I expected to be able to use dynamic proxies for this, however, it seems that this is only good for interface based classes and I cannot guarantee that the POJOs I will have to map have been created this way.

After using hibernate a little (very little) I realised that hibernate developers must have a clever solution for this problem as hibernate does not require my POJOs to have equivalent interfaces.

Could some kind developer please enlighten me about creating non-interface based proxies?

Post subject: CGLib
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:56 pm 
Expert
Expert

CGLib allows that
http://cglib.sourceforge.net/

see my example of using CGLib here
http://sandbox.sourcelabs.com/kosta/hb- ... /haop.html

Or you can use full AOP system like AspectJ
http://www.eclipse.org/aspectj/

SourceLabs - dependable OpenSource systems

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:58 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

yes, cglib is the one we use in hibernate as we only need a little fragment of "aop" functionallity.

I would recommend that you looked into using something more complete more maintainable and much better documented such as JBoss AOP

/max

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:37 am 
CGLIB Developer
CGLIB Developer

Yes, cglib is designed for framework developers (and it is tuned for hibernate) it must be better to use AOP framework for application development.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:24 am 

Thank you all.

I too only want a small fragment of functionality to build a GUI to JavaBean property mapping tool so will take a look at CGlib rather than a full aspect oriented system. I just keep finding myself writing too much code to simply cross wire beans and fields on the GUI. I would rather spend the time writing a useful tool than lots of boring GUI code!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]