-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: problem with a null pointer in AbstractEntityTuplizer
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:34 pm 

This code was working in version 2 of Hibernate. Upon upgrading I get this very hard to trace error bellow. If I comment out this mapping it seems to go away
Hibernate version: 3.1

Mapping documents:
from PossibleSampleTime.hbm.xml
<set
name="schedSampleTimes"
lazy="false"
inverse="true"
cascade="all-delete-orphan">
<key column="SST_SMPT_ID"/>
<one-to-many class="com.xxxx.protocol.model.SchedSampleTime"/>

from SchedSampleTime.hbm.xml

<many-to-one
name="possibleSampleTime"
class="com.xxxx.protocol.model.PossibleSampleTime"
column="SST_SMPT_ID"
not-null="true"
/>
</set>

Code between sessionFactory.openSession() and session.close():

Full stack trace of any exception that occurs:
java.lang.NullPointerException
at org.hibernate.tuple.AbstractEntityTuplizer.createProxy(AbstractEntityTuplizer.java:372)
at org.hibernate.persister.entity.AbstractEntityPersister.createProxy(AbstractEntityPersister.java:3120)
at org.hibernate.event.def.DefaultLoadEventListener.createProxyIfNecessary(DefaultLoadEventListener.java:232)
at org.hibernate.event.def.DefaultLoadEventListener.proxyOrLoad(DefaultLoadEventListener.java:173)
at org.hibernate.event.def.DefaultLoadEventListener.onLoad(DefaultLoadEventListener.java:87)
at org.hibernate.impl.SessionImpl.fireLoad(SessionImpl.java:781)
at org.hibernate.impl.SessionImpl.internalLoad(SessionImpl.java:753)
at org.hibernate.type.EntityType.resolveIdentifier(EntityType.java:266)
at org.hibernate.type.EntityType.resolve(EntityType.java:303)
at org.hibernate.engine.TwoPhaseLoad.initializeEntity(TwoPhaseLoad.java:113)
at org.hibernate.loader.Loader.initializeEntitiesAndCollections(Loader.java:842)
at org.hibernate.loader.Loader.doQuery(Loader.java:717)
at org.hibernate.loader.Loader.doQueryAndInitializeNonLazyCollections(Loader.java:223)
at org.hibernate.loader.Loader.loadCollection(Loader.java:1916)
at org.hibernate.loader.collection.CollectionLoader.initialize(CollectionLoader.java:71)
at org.hibernate.persister.collection.AbstractCollectionPersister.initialize(AbstractCollectionPersister.java:520)
at org.hibernate.event.def.DefaultInitializeCollectionEventListener.onInitializeCollection(DefaultInitializeCollectionEventListener.java:60)
at org.hibernate.impl.SessionImpl.initializeCollection(SessionImpl.java:1565)
at org.hibernate.collection.AbstractPersistentCollection.forceInitialization(AbstractPersistentCollection.java:454)
at org.hibernate.engine.StatefulPersistenceContext.initializeNonLazyCollections(StatefulPersistenceContext.java:791)
at org.hibernate.loader.Loader.doQueryAndInitializeNonLazyCollections(Loader.java:228)
at org.hibernate.loader.Loader.loadEntity(Loader.java:1782)
at org.hibernate.loader.entity.AbstractEntityLoader.load(AbstractEntityLoader.java:93)
at org.hibernate.loader.entity.AbstractEntityLoader.load(AbstractEntityLoader.java:81)
at org.hibernate.persister.entity.AbstractEntityPersister.load(AbstractEntityPersister.java:2729)
at org.hibernate.event.def.DefaultLoadEventListener.loadFromDatasource(DefaultLoadEventListener.java:365)
at org.hibernate.event.def.DefaultLoadEventListener.doLoad(DefaultLoadEventListener.java:346)
at org.hibernate.event.def.DefaultLoadEventListener.load(DefaultLoadEventListener.java:123)
at org.hibernate.event.def.DefaultLoadEventListener.proxyOrLoad(DefaultLoadEventListener.java:177)
at org.hibernate.event.def.DefaultLoadEventListener.onLoad(DefaultLoadEventListener.java:87)
at org.hibernate.impl.SessionImpl.fireLoad(SessionImpl.java:781)
at org.hibernate.impl.SessionImpl.internalLoad(SessionImpl.java:753)
at org.hibernate.type.EntityType.resolveIdentifier(EntityType.java:266)
at org.hibernate.type.EntityType.resolve(EntityType.java:303)
at org.hibernate.type.EntityType.nullSafeGet(EntityType.java:217)
at org.hibernate.impl.IteratorImpl.postNext(IteratorImpl.java:93)
at org.hibernate.impl.IteratorImpl.<init>(IteratorImpl.java:58)
at org.hibernate.loader.hql.QueryLoader.iterate(QueryLoader.java:386)
at org.hibernate.hql.ast.QueryTranslatorImpl.iterate(QueryTranslatorImpl.java:306)
at org.hibernate.impl.SessionImpl.iterate(SessionImpl.java:1083)
at org.hibernate.impl.QueryImpl.iterate(QueryImpl.java:41)
at com.celera.protocol.model.MetaDMPKStudy.findById(MetaDMPKStudy.java:172)
at com.celera.protocol.model.MetaDMPKStudy.main(MetaDMPKStudy.java:421)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:44 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Try replace

<key column="SST_SMPT_ID"/>

with

<key column="SST_SMPT_ID" not-null= "true"/>

Hope it is helpful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 4:08 pm 

I still get the error. It seems to be related to having the same object being used as a set in two different objects. The ReplicateGroup has a set of SchedSampleTime's. The PossibleSampleTime also has a set of SchedSampleTime's. When I comment out the relationship in one the other one will work. I use the ReplicateGroup to save the records but the I want the PossibleSampleTimes used to just query them up. Perhaps there is a better way to map this?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:46 pm 
Senior
Senior

I am seeing this same behavior in 3.1rc3. Did you ever figure it out? If not I will try to trace to get more detail and file a bug if required. I believe it has something to do with the class-level lazy loading changes that happened from 2.x to 3.x.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:17 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

yes, if you can reproduce this in an isolated bundle please file a bug report in jira attaching said bundle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:49 am 
Senior
Senior

Of course it is not a bug in Hibernate. For anyone who runs into this in the future -- it is due to the class lazy loading becoming the default in Hibernate 3.x - I didn't have some required dependencies (org.objectweb.asm) for CGLIB. I had also disabled even error logging for hibernate while running my unit tests. Once I enabled logging (org.hibernate.tuple), I saw the obvious problem:

Code:
Caused by: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError
   at net.sf.cglib.proxy.Enhancer.<clinit>(Enhancer.java:69)
   at org.hibernate.proxy.CGLIBLazyInitializer.getProxyFactory(CGLIBLazyInitializer.java:116)
   ... 25 more

This causes buildProxyFactory in PojoEntityTuplizer to return null, thus the later getProxyFactory call when we are actually getting the proxy for the class fails with an NPE.

While the NPE isn't pretty, IMHO I don't think it's really a bug because the behavior of the class has to be undefined if there is an unexpected failure.

I think I will file an enhancement request that -if- there is an error in setting up the CGLIB stuff (proxy factory is unavailable) the class lazy loading behavior will flip back to lazy="false". That seems like a reasonable solution - anyone have an opinion to the contrary?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:50 am 
Senior
Senior

To be clear -- this isn't a bug caused by the move to HHH, simply that I wasn't using CGLIB in Hibernate 2 and foolishly ignored some of the dependencies that CGLIB has. If I just copied all the third-party stuff in Hibernate/lib into my classpath, I would never have seen this error (and I'd assume that the OP wouldn't either).

Post subject: So what are the dependencies you missed?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:15 pm 

Like bcel.zip?

I have exactly the same problem you have.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]