-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Update old parent entity when child moves to new parent?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 12:58 am 

Hi All,

I have a situation where i have a child object attached to a parent object (via a many to one relationship). The child object can be uniquely identified with a business key. I have situations where the child object can 'move' to a different parent. Currently, I'm doing this by executing a delete statement that deletes the child before i attach it to the new parent, and then saving the parent via the session.

I was wondering if there's a better way of doing this?

Thanks in advance!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 1:18 am 
Expert
Expert

Hi,

Use Association. Learn more from the below link,

http://www.hibernate.org/hib_docs/v3/re ... sociations

Don't forget to rate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 4:15 am 

Ramnath,
As I've mentioned in my post, I'm already using a many-to-one association for the parent-child relationship. Do you have a specific recommendation that would help address my question?
Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 10:16 am 
Regular
Regular

You should be able to just update the relationship(s) and have hibernate move it without having to delete and re-create.

Are you using bidirectional many-to-one associations? In that case one side is the master relationship and the other is just a backpointer that does not "drive" the association. The backpointer side should be marked "inverse=true" in the mappings.

In this case you need to be sure to update the right side of the bidirectional association so that the data is saved. Best practice is to do both updates with a pattern where each set updates the other link also via an addXxx() method that sets both relationships.

see: http://www.hibernate.org/116.html#A10

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]