-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: Many-to-many relationship with properties
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:18 am 

Hibernate version: 3.0

In my current version of my software I have two classes Resource and Activity. The Resource class has a set of Activities and the Activity class has a set of Resources. In hibernate these are set up as many-to-many relationships.

In the next version of the software, I want to extend this Resource-Activity relationship to have a strength associated with it. To support this I have created a new class called Relationship. The hibernate definition of this is below:

Code:
  <class name="cams.cmap.data.Relationship" table="activityresourcerelations">
        <composite-id name="relationship_id" class="cams.cmap.data.RelationshipId">
            <key-property name="activity" column="activity_id"/>
            <key-property name="resource" column="resource_id"/>
        </composite-id>
        <many-to-one name="activity" class="cams.cmap.data.Activity" column="activity_id"
                     not-null="true" fetch="join" insert="false" update="false"/>
        <many-to-one name="resource" class="cams.cmap.data.Resource" column="resource_id"
                     not-null="true" fetch="join" insert="false" update="false"/>
        <property name="strength" not-null="true"/>
    </class>

As you can see it has a composite key of activity_id and resource_id, and a strength property.

So, my next step was to change my Resource class to have a set of Relationships (instead of activities) and my Activity class to have a set of Relationships (instead of resources).

My problem comes when I try to define this in Hibernate. Below is what I have attempted (many other versions have also been tried...). Can anyone tell me what it should to be?

Code:
    <class name="uk.ac.dundee.cams.cmap.data.Activity">
        <id name="id" column="activity_id">
            <generator class="increment"/>
        </id>
        <property name="description"/>
        <set name="resourceRelationships" table="activityresourcerelations" order-by="resource_id" lazy="true" cascade="save-update">
            <key column="activity_id"/>
            <many-to-many class="cams.cmap.data.Relationship"/>
        </set>
        <set name="outcomes" table="ActivityOutcome" order-by="outcome_id" lazy="true" cascade="save-update">
            <key column="activity_id"/>
            <many-to-many column="outcome_id" class="cams.cmap.data.Outcome"/>
        </set>
        <many-to-one name="module" class="cams.cmap.data.Module" column="module_id" not-null="true"/>
    </class>

Perhaps it is a bad design and my thought process is being clouded by the original design, or perhaps you have come accross a design pattern which might better suit what I am trying to do?

Any tips/ideas appreciated,

Nadia

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]