-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: dropping and recreating tables on the fly
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:42 pm 

Using Hibernate, is it possible to drop a table then recreate the exact same table on the fly.

I can't find anything in the api to drop/create tables. The only references I can find of something similiar in the forums claim I would have to remake the SessionFactory, which is acceptable as a last resort since it won't be done very often.

However, I still need to know how I can make hibernate drop and recreate the tables.

thanks

Post subject: truncate
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:05 am 
Expert
Expert

If you try to drop and create exact the same table then you probably are trying to clean tables from data quickly, if that is the case then you may do standard SQL query:
TRUNCATE TABLE zzzz

SourceLabs - dependable OpenSource systems

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:02 pm 

Thank you, that is exactly what I am trying to do.
I am using postgres so the TRUNCATE command is valid.

Is there a way I can make Hibernate trigger the truncate?
In other words, is there a way I can make Hibernate run arbitrary sql commands?

session.createQuery("TRUNCATE table ...") and
session.createSQLQuery("TRUNCATE table ...")

seem tied to queries only and keep throwing exceptions on me.

Thanks

Post subject: connection
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:08 pm 
Expert
Expert

Statement st = session.connection().createStatement( );
st.execute("TRUNCATE ....");
st.close();

Post subject: standard
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:10 pm 
Expert
Expert

By the way TRUNCATE is standard SQL command, it is not Postgres specific.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:53 pm 

kgignatyev, thank you for all of your help. I am much farther than I was yesterday. And thanks for the tip about TRUNCATE too. I had thought it was postgres specific and not standard SQL. That is good to know.

I have one more question and I have been pounding my head on a wall trying to figure it out. I keep getting this Exception and I am not sure where this transaction block is coming from.

EXCEPTION: java.sql.SQLException: ERROR: TRUNCATE TABLE cannot run inside a transaction block

From everything I can find in the forums and documentation, Hibernate is supposed to require explicit transactions, however I am not using a transaction in the call. I am running this code and the exception is coming from the st.exectue(...) line:

Session session = HibernateUtil.currentSession();
try
{
Statement st = session.connection().createStatement();
st.execute("TRUNCATE TABLE fa1");
st.close();
}
catch (Exception e)
{
e.printstacktrace();
}

There are no other sessions or transactions open througout the course of the code and I have verified it several different ways.

My best guess is that the Statement itself is using an implicit transaction, though I cannot locate anything that specifically states that either.

Is there a way around this exception? Or am I missing something obvious.

Thanks.

Post subject: versions?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:04 pm 
Expert
Expert

Just made a quick test and was able truncate table and did that within transaction. There might be something related to driver/DB/Hibernate versions.

The message kind of make sense because TRUNCATE operation is irrevocable, i.e. even if performed within transaction and transaction is rolled back the data will not be restored.

As for transaction block: I guess HibernateUtils class starts transaction for new session and finishes it on session.close()

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:44 pm 

Got it working!

Thanks, kgignatyev, for all of your help, and especially for running a test for me. That is fantastic.

We were using a 7.4 postgres driver and thought we were using a 7.4 db as well, but it turns out it was only 7.2.1. So we upgraded. The documentation for the postgres 7.4 says it supports TRUNCATE inside transactions. So, 7.2 must not.

Somewhere a transaction is being (implicitly) created because once I truncate, the db table locks. Unfortunately session.close() does not release the table. I have to create a new transaction and commit it before the table is realeased. But at least it does get released. I will probably just use an explicit transaction around the above code block just to be, well, explicit.

I really appriciate all your help, kgignatyev. Thanks again.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]