-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Revisiting the object history/versioning question
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:28 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

I see that a frequent question is how to keep a history of every version of an object. I have this same need myself. I have also seen a lot of complex solutions to this problem (one involving DB triggers and views, another involving a complicated custom interceptor, etc).
But it seems to me there could be a much simpler solution. We already use an integer "version" field for optimistic locking in all our Hibernate POJOs, so why not INSERT instead of UPDATE whenever an object is updated? The previous versions of the object would now exist in the table. Of course, part of the beauty of an UPDATE is that you can use the WHERE clause to do your optimistic locking check, but if you rolled the version field into the primary key of the object then that could be used to perform the version check without having to issue any additional SQL (in this case, you would get a unique constraint violation from the DB if the optimistic locking check fails, which you would check for and convert into an optimistic locking failure exception of some sort). Getting an object by its id would entail something along the lines of "select * from table where id = ? order by version desc limit 1", which, of course, Hibernate could do automatically behind the scenes for you.
I realize that there are disadvantages to this approach and some people do not want this kind of a solution, but I believe there is still a large set of users that could benefit, myself included. So, my question is, can this be accomplished in Hibernate 3 today, and if so, how? Of course, I realize this could be done manually (I could manually increment a version field that is part of the PK), so the whole essence of my question is, can Hibernate 3 be made to automatically accomodate this particular "version" scenario without special or custom coding on my part?

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Revisiting the object history/versioning question
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:20 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Anodos wrote:
I see that a frequent question is how to keep a history of every version of an object. I have this same need myself. I have also seen a lot of complex solutions to this problem (one involving DB triggers and views, another involving a complicated custom interceptor, etc).
But it seems to me there could be a much simpler solution. We already use an integer "version" field for optimistic locking in all our Hibernate POJOs, so why not INSERT instead of UPDATE whenever an object is updated? The previous versions of the object would now exist in the table. Of course, part of the beauty of an UPDATE is that you can use the WHERE clause to do your optimistic locking check, but if you rolled the version field into the primary key of the object then that could be used to perform the version check without having to issue any additional SQL (in this case, you would get a unique constraint violation from the DB if the optimistic locking check fails, which you would check for and convert into an optimistic locking failure exception of some sort). Getting an object by its id would entail something along the lines of "select * from table where id = ? order by version desc limit 1", which, of course, Hibernate could do automatically behind the scenes for you.
I realize that there are disadvantages to this approach and some people do not want this kind of a solution, but I believe there is still a large set of users that could benefit, myself included. So, my question is, can this be accomplished in Hibernate 3 today, and if so, how? Of course, I realize this could be done manually (I could manually increment a version field that is part of the PK), so the whole essence of my question is, can Hibernate 3 be made to automatically accomodate this particular "version" scenario without special or custom coding on my part?

Thanks!

I think that's the only solution that's possible. Do inserts instead of updates. Add a field called "version number". Do "select ... where ... order by version number desc limit 1".

For some applications, like a chat system or something where the data are "throw-away", plain old updates are fine. For things like accounting, where no data should ever be thrown away, this is the way to do it.

I think that under the hood, this is how databases work anyway. When you do an update, it actually inserts a new record and marks the old record as "deleted".

Some applications need versioning and some don't.

I'm working on a web-to-POJO framework to simplify all this. It has a servlet called EditServlet which is used for updating objects. The same servlet is used for all objects of all classes; you don't need to write a servlet to go with every class. Anyway, one of the options in this edit servlet will be a versioning option.

One thing that versioning would change is the way you handle associations. For example, if I have a "Customer" object and I want it versioned, I would probably have the Address object be a separate entity, not a component, so I could make versioned changes to the address without having to make a new copy of the whole customer.

Post subject: Re: Revisiting the object history/versioning question
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:53 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

SleepyBear wrote:
... I think that's the only solution that's possible. Do inserts instead of updates. Add a field called "version number". Do "select ... where ... order by version number desc limit 1".

While it could certainly be done manually, my dream is that Hibernate would hide all those messy details from me, in the same way it hides all the messy ORM details now. Part of the reason I use Hibernate is to get a fairly automatic and transparent ORM solution so that I don't have to worry about just such details. One thing your response did get me thinking about is how this would complicate associations (which would now have to somehow take the version field into account, since it has become part of the PK). For now, we are going to use separate tables for versioning and a Hibernate interceptor. It's a pretty good solution in itself - I was just curious if Hibernate had any built in support for the INSERT instead of UPDATE approach to versioning.

Post subject: sql-update
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:02 pm 
Expert
Expert

Would adding an sql-update element and using it to do the versioning work for you? It would require maintaining a separate bit of SQL for every object you wanted to maintain, but at least that SQL would be in your mapping files.

You couldn't easily use the session load/get methods for accessing the most recent versions, because the id of a row would have to include the version number. But that's what base classes + HQL queries are for.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]